Friday, August 10, 2007

In Which I Am VERY Excited but too sick to show it I'm excited about this conference and will probably talk more about it as I go along. I have read the poetry of one of the people (Judith Hall) who will be there and give much credit to John Fox, one of the keynote speakers, for getting me into the habit of writing poetry. Two people whose work inspires me? How could I possibly miss it? And I would sound and act more enthusiastic had I not gone to bed last night with a headache and woken up with one as well. I took something for the headache and then waited a couple of hours before taking something for the headcold I still have. Grrr . . . summer colds suck! So I am now going to settle down with my cross stitching and see if I can't be productive in spite of how I am feeling. I will write more about Judith Hall and John Fox in the coming days and weeks. In the meantime, I need to rest up because Rob and I have a date tonight to go out to an open mic poetry reading--the first one I've gone to since I stopped doing them in 2001 and the first poetry event I've attended since before the vertigo when I went to see Patricia Smith and Regie Gibson. And because this is not a very exciting post in spite of my excitement, a recipe for all you Harry Potter fans out there! Direct from The Three Broomsticks, a recipe for Butterbeer you can make at home: Ingredients: 12 fluid ounces of root beer OR cream soda (for American readers, 1 can) 1 tablespoon of honey 2 teaspoons of butter Directions: Step 1: Place root beer (or cream soda) into a microwave safe glass and heat in microwave for about 30 seconds. Step 2: Remove root beer (or cream soda) and sit aside while you place butter into microwave long enough to melt it. Step 3: Now, add your warm root beer (or cream soda), melted butter and honey to the blender and blend for 5-10 seconds. (We recommend 5 as going past this may remove all the fizziness from your root beer (or cream soda) and it just won't taste the same!) Step 4: Enjoy! Or you can try this version: Butterbeer! It warms you up AND tastes great. Now in take-away form from The Three Broomsticks. (Many thanks to Melissa for this recipe!) Ingredients: 1 cup (8 oz) club soda or cream soda ½ cup (4 oz) butterscotch syrup (ice cream topping) ½ tablespoon butter Directions: Step 1: Measure butterscotch and butter into a 2 cup (16 oz) glass. Microwave on high for 1 to 1½ minutes, or until syrup is bubbly and butter is completely incorporated. Step 2: Stir and cool for 30 seconds, then slowly mix in club soda. Mixture will fizz quite a bit. Step 3: Serve in two coffee mugs or small glasses; a perfectly warm Hogwarts treat for two! Or is three times a charm? Butterbeer Recipe From Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, Your Guide to Home Cooking. FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now! The Irish grandmother of a dear friend of mine used to melt butter in a pot, then pour in beer to warm it. I'm told this simple version of butter beer dates back centuries. Author J. K. Rowling does not provide a recipe for butterbeer in her wildly popular Harry Potter book series, so this version is pure speculation. Harry Potter's butterbeer contains a mild intoxicant, but this dessert version is suitable for children and tasty enough to please adults as well. INGREDIENTS: 1 pint real vanilla ice cream (use a brand that includes vanilla seed specks for best flavor or make your own) 1/4 cup real butter, at room temperature 1/2 teaspoon butterscotch extract 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 1 quart apple cider PREPARATION: On medium speed, beat together vanilla ice cream, butter, butterscotch extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well-combined. Pour into a container and re-freeze. When ready to serve, gently heat apple cider in a saucepan until steaming hot. Place 1 scoop of ice cream in a thick soda glass or large mug. Top with steaming apple cider. Yield: 4 to 6 servings Still not sure you like what you see? How about this one? Nathan Hurst's recipe for butterbeer 1 cup of milk 2 tblsp of honey a dash of cinnamon a dash of mace two drops of vanilla Put vanilla, honey, mace and cinnamon in a glass Microwave until the honey is a liquid Add milk. Microwave until nearly boiling (2 minutes in a 600W one). Or finally . . . this one: 1 C. club soda .5 C. caramel topping .5 TBSP butter mix caramel and butter in microwave safe container and heat for one minute. Stir and allow to cool for 30 seconds then slowly add club soda(will fizz) serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment