Friday, September 21, 2007

In Which I Can’t Come Out to Play Much I am trying to catch up on so many things after losing so many days. Monday and Tuesday lost because I went out. Wednesday and Thursday lost because I was so sick from the first half of the week. Today is my first day of feeling somewhat normal. Discouraged but normal. A friend of mine told me about a work from home company, a legitimate one. Unfortunately, I would need a LAN line. I don’t have a regular phone anymore, not now that I have a cell phone. And I would also have to answer telephone calls. During particular hours. Given that I can’t tell from one day to the next whether I will be physically strong enough to work . . . and knowing that the sound of telephones ringing triggers my vertigo meaning that the more frequently a phone rings the sicker I will be by the end of the day . . . Yep. A bit discouraging. But I know that I will eventually find something that will not aggravate my vertigo, something I can do from home. Data entry or proofreading or something along those lines. Something. Almost anything. So I’ve been pretty quiet mentally and physically. Rob and I are going out for dinner tonight. He has a craving for IHOP. Not fancy. Not even remarkably special. But we are going out to celebrate our second year anniversary. Two years engaged and still no wedding date! Woohoo!!! (Ahhhh . . . commitment phobic love . . . you just gotta laugh!) Rob suggested we go someplace fancier but until I have some form of steady income I think it would be best if we just stick with something inexpensive and not make things crazier than they have to be. And tomorrow more stress on my body. I am going to a writing critique group meeting. I am more than a little anxious about this because I am so damned needy and I don’t like needing something so very much. The story I submitted is one that my literati circle love; those academic elite who discuss philosophy and get off on discussing books read with a critical eye to allusions, metaphors, and the sort of things that bore the rest of the world. The story is my litmus test. If I can get any useful feedback on this particular story then I know I have found my niche, a place I can go and get the kind of comments for which I am starving. Remember when I said how Rob and I don’t need to make things crazier than they have to be? I might try following that line of thinking where it concerns this whole writing critique thing. I have a feeling that when we come home we’ll watch a dvd. Nothing romantic or even erotic. I’d lay my money down on Disney. Then again, you never know. Rob is nothing less than surprising.

2 comments:

  1. "The story I submitted is one that my literati circle love; those academic elite who discuss philosophy and get off on discussing books read with a critical eye to allusions, metaphors, and the sort of things that bore the rest of the world."

    These kinds of critiques can be fun, especially when you know everybody is so more focused on being the cleverest, the most perceptive, that they forget the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The critique went very well. The group will be focusing on novel writing so now I have to choose one of three possible manuscripts.

    And I still have to find a poetry critiquing group because that is the project I promised I would finish.

    ReplyDelete