Sunday, October 21, 2007

In Which I Do Too Much Yesterday and Pay the Price Today Yesterday Rob and I went to the Halloween Parade in Little Five Points after we had already gone out shopping for Joe's birthday gift. Too much. Too many people. Too much noise. Too much stimulation. It was just too much. And I feel terrible today. And the thing is, I took Friday to relax knowing we had to go out for birthday shopping. Rob had said he wanted us to go to the parade but I didn't realize how serious he was. Didn't realize it until we hurried home and he was asking me to glue some horns onto his head, putting the harness on Romanov, and getting my walker out into the car. We went and I will pay the price. However, Rob now agrees with me that seeing the Dalai Lama tomorrow is out of the question. He had hoped to take me, to have my walker with me so I could sit down. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity because, in the nearly 20 years I have lived in GA I don't think I've ever heard that the Dalai Lama was here. And that he is going to give a free to the public presentation . . . Anyway, the Dalai Lama will be here tomorrow and Rob asked me, "If you could ask the Dalai Lama any question, what would it be?" I thought about it briefly. What would I ask? The Dalai Lama is a Tibetan Buddhist so anything I don't already know about his spiritual beliefs I can learn from reading or am not yet ready to understand so his telling me would be meaningless. Politically I also understand where he puts his allegiance and why. What advice he would give to everyone in the audience to do to make the world a better place--well, that seems obvious given his spiritual and political beliefs. "I would ask me to tell a joke. I would ask him, 'What's your favorite joke? Tell it to me, please.' Then he would tell me the joke and we would both laugh and smile. I think that would be the best question I could ask him." As it turns out, you can submit a question to be asked of the Dalai Lama and they will pick and choose which ones will be asked of his Holiness. I don't think mine would have been chosen anyway. But wouldn't it have been lovely to laugh with the Dalai Lama?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Satia...great entry. You were very busy. Sorry you couldn't see the Dali Lama. I can only imagine the traffic and chaos it will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate for the compliment. I'm sorry I won't get to see His Holiness the Dalai Lama tomorrow but this is a small disappointment in the scheme of things. I have access to his teachings through books. How many previous generations could say that same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine not many. I think I saw one of the books on Mom's shelf in her office. Of course I am not sure if this is the same Dalai Lama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that this Dalai Lama has surrounded himself with people who record his teachings and then translate them. I don't know whether any of the previous ones have made this a common practice.

    It is interesting because I read something today that resonates deeply with this discussion. Not ready to write much at the moment. I may say more in the future.

    ReplyDelete