Wednesday, October 17, 2007

In Which I'm Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place Exhibit #1 I seem to have the following choices: Either sleep poorly (or even have insomnia) or have nightmares in which there is rape and murder. So I drink my chamomile tea knowing that during the night I will either witness to or myself be raped and/or murdered. Exhibit #2 With my vertigo I have no job. Without a job I should have a lot of free time. Last week I tried to make plans for this Thursday but did not hear back from anyone so alternate plans were made. Then Thursday would work and it was too late. So we are now trying to make plans for next Thursday. Only problem is, as of the writing of this post, Thursday is literally the only free day I have next week. How is it I have nothing to do and am so damned busy??? Exhibit #3 I think I've decided to do the young adult novel on self injury (specifically cutting). I am not sure about the point-of-view, however. If I choose first person then I risk a reader being triggered by being inside the head of the protagonist. Of course, one would assume the reader, being aware that the book is about cutting would choose to avoid it if they are aware they might be triggered. Then again, third person limited would/could work and be less intimate which has its own benefits. Or I could do what I've done before which is have the protagonist keep a blog (or journal) in which we get inside her head but that seems almost contrived, frankly. Exhibit #4 I have a friend who has a habit of dumping on me and then disappearing. I don't mind the dumping because I understand that we all occasionally need emotional support. But I mind very much that after she dumps I am left not knowing if she is okay, if she is even still alive. I have to somehow find a loving way to draw a boundary for myself while still letting her know I care but can no longer allow her to do this to me. (Sound vague? It should. I don't want to put up details.) There you go. Examples of the things that are weighing on my mind at the moment. Also, in my 101 Things list one of the things I've listed is that I want to fill up one of my sketchbooks. And in my dream blog I noticed that a book I own about making drawing a daily practice has come up more than once. So I have been finding sites to help inspire me to get my sketchbook out and begin drawing. I thought I would share the occasional site with others.
flatsoundofwoodenclogs
Which actually brings me to . . . Exhibit #5 I would like to start sketching but I also want to share some of what I do so I need the scanner to be hooked up. I've asked Rob to do this for over a month now. Still waiting. Grrrr . . .

1 comment:

  1. Well given that most of what I would be sketching would by necessity be of things in my own home . . . about as exciting as mine.

    If you weren't in school right now I'd say that beginning with the New Year we should do this but you have enough on your plate right now and I may not even be up to starting anything new in January. At the rate I'm going, I may even burn out on all the old stuff before then!

    ReplyDelete