Thursday, October 18, 2007

In Which Karen Carpenter Haunts Me I sing. A lot. I am almost constantly humming or vocalizing softly. It is endless. My children especially hate it when I get a song stuck in my head, one they don't like. This can happen if we happen to be leaving a store at the wrong time. I don't mean to torture them with my singing a song they loathe but until I hear another song that is the song that will follow me for the duration. The other day I was singing again, under my breath, and Rob said, "You know I just figured it out. You sound like Mary Carpenter." "Karen," I corrected him. "Right. She had a great voice." This is not the first time I've been told this. When I sing to myself, that is pretty close to how I sound. I also have a big booming voice. And although I am strongest in alto range, I can sing second soprano. Go figure. And today it is a rainy day. Not a Monday but I have that song Rainy Days and Mondays (Always Get Me Down) slipping through my brain. Because rainy days really do get me down, stuck in bed. Barometric pressure playing with my vertigo makes me want to do nothing but hold onto my pillow and wait for the shifting and swaying to go away. For that reason, no ANTM update for today. I don't care who got voted off. The show was so boring last night that I am not even sure I care to watch it next week. Even the previews were mediocre. I am not surprised that I am bored with the show. I'm surprised that it took me this long to be bored. However, I said I would write about it and I will. But not today. Not when I feel like crap. Maybe next week when I have more of my own strength or something interesting happens on the show. For now, suffice it to say, I am about to start humming Mellow Yellow until some new song comes my way. Aries Horoscope for week of October 18, 2007 In his book The Primary Colors, Alexander Theroux writes that yellow is the color of "early bruises, forbidding skies, dead leaves, dental plaque, foul curtains, speed bumps, and callused feet." And yet, he muses, yellow is also the color of "the generous sun, butter, candlelight, ripening grain, translucent amber, and spring itself." I suspect that in the coming week, Aries, you will have encounters with a situation that is as paradoxical as yellow. Whether your experience is more like wrapping yourself in foul curtains or basking in the generous sun may depend largely on whether you summon a determination to see the best in everything.

2 comments:

  1. hi, i'm new to your blog. i found ya by way of nanowrimo. this will be my first year to participate.

    the reason i'm commenting? i just have to ask, are ya an aries? curious. btw, i am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jen and welcome to nanwrimo! If I can help you in any way, feel free to hit me up there and ask me anything.

    Or ask me here. Wherever is easier.

    I am an Aries. Double Aries with Leo rising. I am also a Water Tiger, if that means anything to you.

    Satia

    ReplyDelete