Saturday, December 15, 2007

In Which You (Meaning I) Learn Something New Every Day Before the vertigo hit, I knew so little about aneurysms and multiple sclerosis. Now I know more about both. And until I was mis-diagnosed with cervical spondylosis I had never even heard of it. Now we have a new term to explore: Conversion Disorder.
Formerly known as 'hysteria', the disorder has arguably been known for millenia, though it came to greatest prominence at the end of the 19th century, when the neurologist Jean-Martin Charcot, and psychiatrists Pierre Janet and Sigmund Freud made it the focus of their study. The term 'conversion' has its origins in Freud's doctrine that emotional stress was repressed and 'converted' into physical symptoms.
Is it any wonder I am more Jungian than Freudian in my understanding of the human psyche? I really don't know what more to say about this and after reading the article I have no desire to even think about it. Marc put up his Christmas tree and Rudolph is out. He did not come out last year so it is good to have him back where he belongs, lit nose and all. Our polar bear is out on the lawn. I had hoped to buy some lights for the bushes but it is hard to coordinate these things. Only ten more days? How did Christmas sneak up on me like this? I am not ready for the holiday. Far from it. Very far from being ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment