Thursday, January 24, 2008

In Which I Share a Poem by Plath

I am reading The Collected Works of Sylvia Plath by (duh) Sylvia Plath. There are two poems in the collection which were written on 4 April 1962--my birthday. So here is one of the two poems.
An Appearance
The smile of iceboxes annihilates me. Such blue currents in the veins of my loved one! I hear her great heart purr. From her lips ampersands and percent signs Exit like kisses. It is Monday in her mind: morals Launder and present themselves What am I to make of these contradictions? I wear white cuffs, I bow. Is this love then, this red material Issuing from the steel needle that flies so blindingly? It will make little dresses and coats, It will cover a dynasty. How her body opens and shuts-- A Swiss watch, jeweled in the hinges! O heart, such disorganization! The stars are flashing like terrible numerals. ABC, her eyelids say.
Aries Horoscope for week of January 24, 2008 "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year," said essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson. That's my first suggestion for you this week, Aries. Now, while you're at the energetic peak of your astrological cycle, is a good time to cultivate a knack for identifying the specific gift that each day has to offer you. You will also resonate well with the cosmic rhythms if you make use of another Emersonian gem: "Every great and commanding moment in the annals of the world is the triumph of some enthusiasm." Where does your purest enthusiasm lie? And how will you use it to fuel your ascent to a series of great and commanding moments?

2 comments:

  1. "From her lips ampersands and percent signs
    Exit like kisses."

    Wouldn't you just kill to come up with a line like this?

    Plath is difficult, but fun.

    At the moment, I'm reading her first collection, Colossus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely would love to write like that. Reading Plath is making me feel like a hack. And it is difficult. So much anger and pain. I saw that you are reading Colussus in Good Reads. I had to smile at the syncronicity.

    ReplyDelete