Friday, February 29, 2008

In Which I Don't Know Why I Finished A Book

Sweaty Palms: The Neglected Art of Being Interviewed by H Anthony Medley, revised and everything, is a natural choice for me, the job seeker. I found it at the library, immediately thought it would be something to read as I begin my job search, borrowed it, brought it home, and started to read.

There is so much to dislike about this book that I don’t even know where to begin and it is a shame because there are some things to like as well. Unfortunately, the negative far outweighs the positive and although this book is revised I am absolutely certain that there are other more relevant and appropriate books on the interview process available. What frustrated me the most is that even though this volume is revised the content is clearly dated. I don’t know where being allergic to cigarette smoke would be a concern and to even defend such an offensive interview practice as baiting an interviewee by using the terms “black bitch” or “nigger” is reprehensible. How the hell did anyone revise this book and not remove something like this? And where is there a company that would still do something like this and not expect a lawsuit?

Less offensive but no less annoying is the author’s need to keep reminding the reader how useful other people have found his book. I can understand using testimonials in the first chapter or even having a collection of them at the end of the book. However, if you are still justifying why anyone should read this book by using these things by chapter six then I, as the reader, am left to assume that you are not nearly as confident in your information as you claim to be.

So I am not going to recommend this book. To anyone. For any reason. Go online and read articles about interviewing or, if you are like me and really prefer to read a book you can hold in your hands then, go to the bookstore and buy anything but this book. Because, frankly, the gold nuggets of good information that you might dredge up after reading the rest are easily available elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment