Thursday, July 17, 2008

Freeform Yoga

In the August issue of FitYoga there is an article on freestyle yoga which resonated deeply with what I have been feeling lately. I love doing my yoga dvds but I often find myself wishing I could stay in an asana for a little longer or I may like an asana on one dvd but not necessarily want to do the entire practice. But it is not easy to pause a dvd and stay in the moment of the yoga. Which is why the idea of doing yoga more intuitively immediately appealed to me because this is what I have been feeling I need. While I love and recognize that I need the structure of a formalized class, whether it is held in a yoga studio or recorded on a dvd or streamed online, I can hear my body saying “Please, let’s stay here a little longer. We need this.” Then I misplaced the magazine and was unable to find anything online that matched what the article described. Freestyle yoga. Intuitive yoga. I searched for a few days and gave up. (Oddly, I began the search on the magazine’s website and found nothing helpful there which is unfortunate.) Luckily, I found the magazine (finally!) and was able to link to the website the writer of the article, Anne Jablonski has created which includes a wonderful article on the concept of freeform yoga. My plan is to begin approaching this style of yoga this weekend. I want to commit one day a week to doing yoga without a dvd playing in the background. (I often do the yoga with my eyes closed only looking at the dvd to see if I am doing what I think I should be doing. Some dvds have become so familiar that I no longer have to confirm that I am, indeed, in upward facing dog and not cobra.) I will go into the practice with certain asanas in mind. I would like very much to begin in Virasana and once I feel centered move into a sequence that feels right for me. I know that, for instance, I would like to do Dolphin Pose, a variation of Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog). I suppose going into the idea of a freeform practice with the intention of doing certain asanas but I trust myself enough to know that having a few asanas in mind won’t preclude my choosing what I feel I need to do at the moment. At least that is the plan. I know how my weekends usually go. I make plans to do something a certain way and something complicates things or disrupts it or . . . well, my silent retreat experience is a perfect example of what I mean. Still, I can tell that this is something I want and even need to do so if the weekend becomes so chaotic that I can’t make it happen, I’ll just try to hit the ground running on Monday. Or should that be hit the yoga mat mindfully?

2 comments:

  1. I looked for an email addy for you but don't have one. We are interested in knowing more about reiki and if you feel or think it is something you could do with us. We know perhaps we bring special issues and we worry about possibly affecting you in some way. Our email is patchesmany at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Leave it to me to jump the gun. I saw the abbreviated commented in my inbox which only included the first sentence and the first few words of the second sentence. I sent you an email to your yahoo account. If you no longer use that account I can send you another email to your gmail account. I'll wait to see if you respond and if I hear nothing by tomorrow I'll go ahead and email you again but at your gmail account.

    ReplyDelete