Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday Stuff--quote, video, etc.

Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways. Stephen Vincent Benet

I have been thinking a great deal about apathy, that silent and delicate murder of compassion. To do every task with mindfulness, to infuse each moment in a prayerful intention, is a challenge that none of us can afford to accept. The gauntlet thrown, how dare we throw away these precious moments on nothing less than complete openness and giving, compassion and forgiveness.

I have been struggling to keep from curling into a seashell of apathy. It is a choice, a conscious choice, made every day, every moment, to find some way of giving and being that takes me outside of myself.

Aries Horoscope for week of July 24, 2008 Anna Renalda Hyatt, a reader from Colorado, bragged to me about her prowess. "My capacity for expressing love far surpasses that of anyone I have ever met," she wrote. "I am a Sublime Genius of Love, a Master of Unconditional Compassion, a Virtuoso of Deep Empathy." Your assignment in the coming days, Aries, is to compete with her: Unleash a perfect storm of ingenious passion that will ignite subtle revolutions everywhere you go. Explore the frontiers of smart love.

I am often puzzled by the fact that this song is often labeled atheistic. The song itself is addressed to God. After listening to the lyrics many times I am still left with the fact that it is not God that is being denied in this song but man's interpretation of God. I heard this song one time and bought the cd based on my appreciation of both the song and the singer. Usually, I won't buy a cd because I like one song.

Dear God Sarah MacLachlan

2 comments:

  1. In our experience- when people question what others perceive God to be, they are called Atheist, or wrong in some way.

    As to being apathetic. It is something that some here struggle with. I do. It is sure something I have to chose to not be, and really i'm only part successful.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I love about the Tao is the simple saying, "The tao that can be explained is not the tao." I have always thought this was true of God.

    ReplyDelete