Sunday, October 12, 2008

Party People Come and Gone

A few weeks ago Rob got a call from someone we haven't heard from since the New Year. At that time, he wanted to know where to find a great strip club. Given the mid-week timing of this more recent call we both suspected that the only reason he was calling is that he and his wife wanted to go out and party. I guess they forgot that Rob is sober now and I have vertigo. They forgot or don't care. Going out dancing, drinking, etc. is no longer a part of our having fun. I left a comment in the husband's blog with a quick congrats on the new baby and left it at that. And the reason I haven't been posting much about the wonderful 29 Days of Giving Challenge is because someone who had abused the term "friendship" horribly would not leave me alone. I mean, when anyone says "I know you don't want to hear from me but . . ." you pretty much know that the only way to avoid this person is to distance yourself. And that was the second time she had approached me in spite of her awareness that I'd rather not hear from her. Sheesh! I ran into someone who knew me from my LJ days. Weird. I explained I have a blog now. But not an online journal. I'll never have one of those again. And I rarely tell anyone about this blog which is why I have so few people who comment. Sometimes people find me and they'll email me. Sometimes they'll leave comments. Either way it doesn't matter. (Come to think of it, I didn't tell the person where my new blog is so unless there's some deep desire to reconnect, I probably won't hear from them.) It's nice just leaving the past behind, not trying to rebuild relationships that never really existed at all. To say that the first couple were friends is like saying a hired prostitute is your girlfriend. To say that the woman who would not leave me alone on the other website is a friend is like saying the pastor of a church you haven't gone to in over two years is your pastor. And as for the friends in LJ--a few have found me on facebook and a couple even leave the occasional comment here in this blog. (You know who you are!) I'm not that hard to find online and my email address hasn't changed in over 20 years. It's funny. There were some people in my life, both real and virtual, I thought would always be there. But they're gone now. And my life is so lovely and quiet. The cream always rises to the top. The few that remain or even return are clearly the only ones that ever mattered. And I'll stop being all sweet and schmaltzy. It's too early in the week to be getting all sentimental. PS: Don't get used to these personal posts. I went to the Wellness and Writing Connections Conference and feel slightly more confessional today but I'm sure I'll get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment