Monday, October 06, 2008

Vibes by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Vibes by Amy Kathleen Ryan is a cute novel about a quirky teenager, Kristi Carmichael. She has many of the typical problems that adolescents have--body image, parents, friendships. She also loves opera and happens to read minds. There is an awful lot of life shoved into this one novel and I think that Ryan could have easily fleshed this out into two novels which would have been delightful because Kristi's voice is so clear and charming that readers are bound to want to stick with her a little longer. I know I did. I found myself smiling at some of the things Kristi says, even chuckling aloud. And although I found the story reaching an all too predictable conclusion, I did not feel disappointed by the inevitability of it all. For a fun fast read, Vibes is satisfying, interesting, and even amusing. All together, not a bad way to spend an afternoon. As a footnote, I had fun playing the music the protagonist mentions. For those without an extensive operatic cd collection, youtube has some wonderful videos. It added a fun layer to my experience and I would recommend other readers give it a try. Hopefully they'll enjoy that layer as well.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting!...and for you...

    "love is the one who masters all things."

    Mawlãnã Rumi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I love Rumi. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete