Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Course in Miracles List of Books

The obvious starting point: A Course in Miracles scribed by Dr. Helen Schucman. This will be the primary text from which I will be reading. I plan on doing the daily Workbook lessons along with reading my way through both the Text and Teacher's Manual. I plan on taking notes and I'll possibly share quotes and thoughts here in the blog. I'm not sure. I am rather protective of certain subjects--my spiritual beliefs being one of those. And there are so few that it behooves me to point them out when I occasionally come across an area of my life I won't share openly and oh too willingly. The challenge for me will be doing the daily lessons as prescribed because habits take a bit of time to establish but I'm optimistic that I can succeed.
A Workbook Companion: Vol 1 by Allen Watson and Robert Perry is optional but pretty high on my list of what I'd like to read in conjunction with the A Course in Miracles. This may be adding unecessarily to the daily readings, however. Then again, a commentary may help me better appreciate the primary text. This is open to debate but if someone else were to want to use this book along with the primary text and to read along with me then the fence sitting would end and I would definitely fall onto the side of including it immediately. Otherwise, I may try to do the Workbook with the companion and see how it goes. A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson is the book that introduced me and many others to A Course in Miracles and I have little doubt that I will want to read it while I am reading through the primary text. I read it ages ago and the entire time I wondered if Williamson's interpretations were accurate. I didn't have a copy of the text at the time and since then, of course, she's become one of the predominant teachers on the course. She does a radio program that streams online. She talks about the daily meditations. Odds are, and assuming I even remember to do so, I'll listen to the program as well. Multimedia study at its best. Of course, that's relying on my typically unreliable recollection.
Karen Casey's Daily Meditations on a Course in Miracles is more broad in scope than the companion above. It quotes from all three parts of the A Course in Miracles and once again offers some thoughts and interpretations which I assume include ways to apply some of the ideas and philosophies presented. I remember reading many wonderful quotes from this book before it was ever on my bookshelf. I didn't know who Casey was and have since lost the file in which I had all those quotes I adored. I'm optimistic that I'll rediscover them and some new ones. Based on what I remember, this book will probably be the least provocative yet a pleasant addition to the exploration. Whether I read the daily meditations each day is unlikely. Maybe I'll read a few days at a time which detracts from the concept but will still allow me to reap the benefits and pleasure of reading it at all. The Gifts of God by Helen Schucman is a poetry collection. I think it would be lovely to read this sometime after I've finished the text (while still working through the workbook, obviously). I don't know if I will enjoy the poetry on a technical level. Hopefully, the messages will outweigh any lapse in poetic talent. And maybe I'll let my judgment fall aside for once and appreciate the writing for what it is. It's hardest for me to do this with poetry because I almost always go into automatic analysis, listening to the rhythm, contemplating word choices. I tend to read poetry more critically than anything else and I would like to avoid that mindset while reading this book. I'm leaving it for at least after January, to allow me time to get into the habit of the rest of the reading I'll be doing every day. Jerry Sears's A Course in Miracles in 5 Minutes amuses me the way "The Bible in 5 Minutes a Day" would amuse me. This is one that's been on my shelf almost as long as A Course in Miracles. I vaguely recall reading it and maybe I even did the exercises. I can't recall. This doesn't bode well for the book itself and the likelihood of my doing it during my six months. However, if someone else wanted to read along with me then I could easily shuffle this higher on the list. With that said, I would prefer not to start it in January. Again, what with the Workbook and the daily lessons plus the possibility of using the companion and/or daily meditations book, this is one that will wait until I'm in the rhythm of doing the prescribed practices. The Silence of the Heart by Paul Ferrini is the second volume in his Reflections of the Christ Mind collection. I don't have volume one and the cover I have is very different from this one but I remember reading so many lovely quotes from some of Ferrini's other books (and possibly this one, for all I know) that I am eager to read one of his books. I also have Miracle of Love and Return to the Garden if someone has already read volumes one and two and/or, like me, don't have copies of all four books. I don't know that these books necessarily need to be read in order. I doubt it and if I quickly discover that they should be then I'll just have to forego doing so since I don't want to purchase a copy at this time. The Divine Matrix by Gregg Braden is one of those I have a feeling I'll read and give away. Not suggesting that I won't enjoy it but I really want to not have such a large permanent library that there isn't room for removing some clutter. The copy I received came along with a companion cd so if I get around to reading this book, I will also listen to the cd. I can't say off the top of my head what the cd contains. Hopefully not a collection of New Age music which usually distracts me the way muzak annoys most people. I am very curious about this book, however. Something about the title and cover appeal to me very much and my intuiton suggests that if I don't read this during the six months, I would be genuinely surprised. And last but not least is The Disappearance of the Universe by Gary Renard. I haev his collection of Enlightenment Cards and I enjoy the messages on them very much. I do not, however, own any of his books. But I suspect that I can find this one at the library. I've heard good things about this book but not from anyone I know personally. There is a long list of books, movies, and more that are highly recommended that disappoint me tremendously. This and Braden's book are both tentative reads, mostly because I don't want to be disappointed. I'll hold off on both of these books until I am fairly immersed in the primary text rather than allow myself to get too distracted by the extraneous.

No comments:

Post a Comment