Thursday, November 20, 2008

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett is another Discworld book which goes to show you just how much escapist nonsense I feel I need in my life at this time. And it is so nice to have this safe place (Discworld) to turn to when I am tired of reality.
In this volume we have a conman who gets manipulated into taking on a seemingly impossible task. As with all Discworld books, there are satire. Business and technology are the primary targets in this one. There's a bit of romance sprinkled in too. And there are Golems. DEATH makes one very brief appearance. A bit of a disappointment. More disappointing were the editorial errors (including a sentence where an entire word was lost somewhere along the way--WTF?). Above all else, this book proves there are some things only slightly better than death and one of those things is a government job. I suppose there are those who would argue that the other option is actually an improvement.
My favorite quote:
There was a pregnant pause. It gave birth to a lot of little pauses, each one more deeply embarrassing than its parent. (313)

1 comment:

  1. Satia - thank you for your encouraging comment about my son. I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete