Friday, December 19, 2008

Excuse Me--I Have Vertigo

When Janet Jackson cancelled some of her tours, her brother Randy announced she had vertigo. Almost immediately the media skeptically suggested that the real reason behind the cancellations was poor ticket sales. When Meatloaf showed up at a presentation a little less than steady on his feet his agent explained that the singer has vertigo and the newspapers said he didn’t have vertigo but was wasted. It is hard enough for people with invisible conditions to be taken seriously or understood. When articles such as this one tell people to use vertigo as an excuse to leave work so they can finish their holiday shopping, it makes it that much harder for people like me who struggle their way through even the simplest of activities to be respected. But hey! The article isn’t serious, right? So what the hell. Tell your boss you have cancer. Cancer is always good for a laugh. Or maybe you can say you have Multiple Sclerosis. It’s fun to say and the bonus is you get to complain about vertigo and people just might take you seriously. Unless of course you happen to be a performer. Then others are just going to say you are avoiding low sales or justifying your most recent addiction. I think my problem is that when I got lost in the vertigo I lost my sense of humor too. Oh well. Sucks to be me all over.
This is what I woke up to on my last day in NJ . . . a pretty dusting of snow. The perfect amount to make things pretty but not so much that my flights were delayed.

2 comments:

  1. although in a somewhat different way, we relate to others using something you struggle with, as an excuse, or something to mock fun at, when it is a serious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I am not being too sensitive. I mean, obviously I'm being a bit hyper-sensitive about the idea of people who don't have vertigo using it as an excuse to get out of work but being sensitive is not necessarily wrong.

    ReplyDelete