Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We Interrupt This Blog for a Political Moment

My son wrote the following in his blog:
When I was a little boy….maybe 4… I asked my mom, “when are we going to have a black president?” My mom told me, “I don’t know. Hopefully in my lifetime.” I was so young, but that memory etched into my mind forever. And now, here it is, that question I asked so long ago - that question I never thought would get an answer - will receive that answer. I doubt my life will change that much just because of Obama being president, but if it opens opportunities for future generations to embrace and celebrate differences and diveristy under the banner of peace, then let’s build that future. Starting now. I do not recall this conversation (and I am shuddering at the thought of what else I might have said to him that he has permanently etched into his psyche) but I have always hoped I would live long enough to see this moment.
And so today, Barack Obama became the first African American President of the United States of America. I wish I could have been there personally but it was enough to be sitting in front of my television and sharing a moment that, twenty years ago when I was talking with my son, was still only a matter of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment