Thursday, January 22, 2009

Your Truest Self by Janice Lynne Lundy

Your Truest Self: Embracing the Woman You Are Meant to Be by Janice Lynne Lundy is a pleasant surprise. I tend to avoid these types of self-help/motivational books because they are too often more cute than helpful. Lundy has managed to avoid this by bringing in other women to share from their experiences. Each chapter presents a different woman--from musicians to authors to therapists to spiritual leaders. These women are Lundy's mentors and rather than just allowing these women to write a chapter or essay of their own, she shares her own reason for wanting this woman to be a part of her book. By contextualizing each person within her own experience, Lundy humanizes rather than elevates them. And some of these well-known, even famous, women lend themselves to being iconic. Instead, Lundy shares these women in a gentle and intimate manner to present "Twelve Transformational Truths." A quick skim of the chapter titles gives some clues as to the themes covered, presented in titles that serve as affirmations:
I am free to live a spiritual life of my own making. I trust my body's divine connection. I choose thoughts and feelings that honor my sacred self. I engage in daily practices that nurture my spirit. I cultivate compassion for myself. I experience the divine in everything and everyone. I know divine assistance is available to me at all times. I acknowledge that difficult times bring healing and deeper wisdom. I can create my life anew each day. I trust the divine timing of my own unfolding. I courageously speak and live my truths. I open my heart to others and celebrate our oneness.
Each woman featured in the chapter is chosen as a model/mentor, someone who has led the way, who has been there and can now show others how to move from there to a new way of being. These successful women serve as positive examples, often overcoming surprising challenges along the way. What makes this book so effective is that Lundy allows herself to participate in their experience by drawing on her own struggles. When discussing health with Dudley Evenson or Naomi Judd, Lundy shares with the reader how she herself has learned through the women some truth of her own. While every woman's truth may not have relevance for the reader, I would be surprised if any woman reading this book didn't find something or someone who inspires on some level.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Satia,
    I wanted to pop in to thank you for the kind review of my book, Your Truest Self. I first read it when it was posted on amazon, and I thought to myself, 'Yes! This woman gets it!' I appreciate your straightforward, professional, yet thoughtful, approach.

    Your blog site is lovely, as is your heart, from what I have been able to read here. I, too, am a passionate lover of books, and I'm ever grateful to find someone who has a clear, open mind and warm heart when it comes to "reviewing" the works of others.

    May your journey continue to unfold in beautiful ways,

    All Love,
    Jan Lundy

    ReplyDelete