Monday, June 28, 2010

Relapse?

For a while, I blamed it all on the weather.  We had the usual-for-Georgia pop-up showers and typically they were right over us or near enough to us that I could say, "Oh.  This is why I feel poorly."  Day after day, and when they are clustered together like that I feel progressively worse.  So if on day one I stumble a bit, by week two or three I am driven to take naps, to sit down instead of stand, etc.

You know it is bad when I am too dizzy to read.

I've been too dizzy to read for a week now.  I still do it.  I still have a book close by and I read.  A couple of paragraphs.  Rest for an hour.  A page.  Rest for another hour.

I don't look around me at the housework I want and feel I need to do.  I try to forget about the responsibilities I have to everyone.  I lie around, curled up, trying not to make myself worse by forcing myself to pretend I'm better.

Which is why there was no Friday Randomness because, although I have blog entries which I've post-dated and "go live" days or even weeks after I have written them, there are some things that are more immediate which I typically write while surfing online.  Like the FR posts which I create one day and usually fill a bit at a time over the next few days.

The problem is . . . what do I blame now?  The pop-up showers have come and gone and I am still unable to cope.  Today I blame it on my cycle but eventually there will be no more external excuses to rationalize how poorly I feel and I will just have to face it--I'm relapsing, regressing, and no matter how much I do to improve my condition I will indeed have to live with it for the rest of my life.

Case closed.

7 comments:

  1. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I'm so sorry to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do something, actually. Promise not to tell Rob I did any housework today, although he might notice I did a few things. Let's just pretend he won't notice anything different because I promised him I'd take it easy and . . . well . . . ummm . . . I haven't. I mean I have. In between doing things. Sorta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you know your limits better than anyone. And I'm no doctor but maybe doing a few things is helpful to the situation? It probably couldn't hurt as long as you know when you need to rest. And I'm sure you do. Either way, secrets safe with me! But again, if you need anything or if there is anything we can do, let us know. Either or both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god!

    After 3 weeks of it, I can only imagine the suffering of living with this. There HAS TO be an answer. I am new to your blog, but will read back over your posts on where you have gone with tracking down the reason behind this.
    I am keen for an answer, and like everything at the moment I’m putting it to something in the diet creating a weakness/reaction/inflammation. I have recently sent my bloods away for an IGG test, to see what foods I have internal inflammation to, that I have no idea about. We all have these foods, this contributes to our illnesses. I wonder, I just wonder if this will help???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, In my research I've come across quite a few people who have successfully made dietary changes that have reduced the vertigo symptoms if not get rid of them altogether. I haven't had any success with it myself but that may be due to why I have vertigo and not because diet changes are ineffective. For me, doing yoga and qigong do a lot to help me feel stronger and, while it doesn't necessarily make it go away, feeling stronger makes it easier for me to live with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm okay, well thats really interesting. I will be sure to let you know how things go for us after this test. (Not that I have vertigo anymore, but other health benefits may show???) It may be just what you need to be able to exactly pinpoint what foods are bad for you - I'd love to see the results actually. Its about $330 AUS, not sure where in US you would even get it? But I am sure it could be tracked down. Will keep you posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went through a lot of tests and allergy testing was one of the things we tested. Except for the known allergies (latex and codeine), I am not allergic to anything. I am gluten sensitive and should avoid it but not outright allergic.

    As I said, because there are so many different causes for vertigo it can be challenging for doctors to get to the bottom of why we feel the way we do. That doesn't mean we have to sit idly by waiting for the doctor to figure things out. Being a proactive patient is mandatory, especially in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete