Saturday, September 25, 2010

Rosie by Anne Lamott


Rosie by Anne Lamott is a novel about a widow and her precocious little girl who both struggle with their loss–of a husband and father respectively–and their need to heal.  Elizabeth Ferguson, the mother, is not a likeable character as she allows her depression and her alcoholism to affect the well-being of herself and her daughter, Rosie, who begins acting out in first curious and then off-putting ways.  Inevitably, a crisis precipitates and awakening.

I am not accustomed to anti-heroes in what I soon realized was mostly a romance novel in disguise.  Elizabeth will meet her knight-in-shining armor, although his armor is somewhat tarnished and even dented.  Rosie’s intelligence and creativity are charming and alarming as the reader sees the roots of acting out, the repercussions from which none of these characters will return unscathed.

And although I didn’t like Elizabeth, I continued to read, drawn into her world and her neediness, feeling some compassion for her in spite of her choices.  I liked her and Rosie enough to say that I would like to read the sequel to this novel and have it on request through my local library.  I may prefer Lamott’s nonfiction writing to her fiction writing but for a quick escape this novel, although not light and pretty, fits the bill nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment