Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Never Ending To-Do List


Stephen Covey's matrix ofo apparent urgency and ultimate importanceToday is the 13th and, with barely half of January behind me, I am falling behind on far too many things.  I’ve wanted to email my cousin since before Christmas and two others since before New Years.  Instead, I am trying to keep up with the job search and allowing the urgent to supercede the important.

But I am letting some important self-nurturing things fall to the side and, as a result, I am missing out on opportunities.  So last night I made a list of things I would like to do by the end of this month.  These things are in addition to the obvious: exercise daily, apply to jobs, follow-up on contacts made.  There are tasks that are simply not on the list like doing laundry or organizing my desk.

Even my list is incomplete.  Nevertheless, I need to start prioritizing and focusing my energy.  I said that I wanted to focus on sharing some new things in this journal beginning with this new year.  I won’t make that happen if I don’t make time for it and if I give that time to something or someone else then I want that to be a conscious choice and not one that leaves me at the end of the day wondering what, if anything, I actually accomplished.

You can see the list in the sidebar.  I'll be adding to it and shuffling it around, striking through things I've completed (so I can see that I am indeed accomplishing something, dammit!) and basically know that if I am not slowing down it's because I really don't have the time to do so right now.  January is already nearly two weeks finished and I have so many other things left to do . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment