Friday, January 28, 2011

Weekly Quotes Part 4

Unfulfilled dreams are tender things, like seedlings doing their best to sprout.  These dreams deserve to be undisturbed by anyone but the gardener, and uncriticized by anyone at all.  (34) 

The idea as Moran describes it is not about those dreams that we've left behind or which have been taken away from us but those fulfilled dreams waiting to see the light of day.  These unfulfilled dreams are delicate and deserve tender care if they are to ever become fulfilled, bearing bushels of satiating fruit.

Okay.  I beat that metaphor to death but you get the point.


The following is a recommendation from the book Good Girls Don’t Get Fat by Robyn Silverman:

Add “in my head” to her evaluation statements.  People used to think it was funny to add “in bed” to the end of every Chinese fortune cookie fortune.  This follows the same principle.  Whenever girls say something like, “I need to lose five pounds,” “My thighs are so big” or “She has better legs than me,” make a game by adding “in my head.”  It’s important for girls–and women–to know that they are contributing to their own body image problems by allowing their perceptions to become reality.  (169)




A relationship does take effort, and we need to be willing to do the required work. But we need to remember also that love is above all a pleasure, a treasure to delight in, a miracle, a gift to be enjoyed. (Jan 19)


The person you love won’t look at love or your relationship in exactly the same way you do. . . .Understanding that he or she doesn’t feel the same way, and in some sense may not even occupy the same relationship, that you do–and allowing your partner to live his or her truth–is one of the baseline practices of love.  (January 25)





We can stop waiting for life to become perfect and start working with what we’ve got to make it as satisfying as we can.  We can accept, bless, give thanks, and get going.  Today, we can begin to call forth the riches from our everyday life.  Today we can move from lack to abundance.  Procrastination has robbed us of too many precious opportunities.  (January 25)







"Twins are very interesting . . . at least one pair of them," said Anne.  "It's only when there are two or three pairs that it gets monotonous." (55)

This made me chuckle because, of course, I have one pair of twins (do they come in any form other than a "pair"?) and I can admit that having more than the one pair would have been monotonous, to say the least.  Redundant.  Excessive.

This world would be a much more interesting place . . . although it is very interesting anyhow . . . if people spoke out their real thoughts.  (105)


I have to agree but I think there's much to be said for people saying nothing if they have nothing nice to say.


Don't you know that it is only very foolish folk who talk sense all the time?  (151)



By the time I was ending the book, I have to admit,I was more moderate, conceding that I'd decided to write this story because 'sad as it is, there isn't and wans't and never was anything else to do.'  Nothing to do, I was conceding, but testify, bear witness, swear to the truth of this account I hereby proffer to you, the reader.  Nothing to do because once the calamity has happened, it is of course inexorable; it will always have happened.  (89)


This quote, is in some way, a response to the author's previous quote I shared in Weekly Quotes Part 3.


But if the hospital is a bureaucracy, or, for that mater, a sort of factory assembly line designed to process illnesses rather than people, fosters a steely clinical demeanor, it's important to remember that this demeanor is actually formed, and later encouraged, by the nature and structure of medical training. (191)


I wanted to share that last quote because there is a growing movement within the medical community to infuse more compassion and empathy into the medical practice.  Narrative Medicine, in particular, is being used in medical schools to help med students explore on the page and through reading material the experience of being a patient.  Of course, it is impossible to lie in a bed for a couple of days and truly appreciate what it feels like to know you will be in that bed for months.  Nevertheless, if imagination can be stirred to awaken awareness then it is a wonderful thing to behold.  It may be a while before it reaches full fruition in the examination room or hospital corridors but there is a movement in this new direction that is inspiring to see.

3 comments:

  1. Satia, I really appreciated this post. It would be so great if doctors could really imagine what life is like for their patients. After 2 trips to the UR, I went to visit my neurologist. I struggled to make to even make it to his office. His nurse told me that there were no other patients there for him, but he still had me wait in his office for 45 minutes, sitting on a hard wooden chair. I know that I will never understand what it is like to have a permanent disability, but these past few months have really been an eye opener for me!

    I have also been thinking about you and Rob's situation. From reading your blog I know that you both have also been through or are going through a scary health situation. I just want you to know that while I can't pray for you right now, I am wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I'm sorry to hear about what happened but I can completely empathize. I have vertigo and one time my doctor's staff wanted to put me in an examination room with the table right next to a window. Because the office was on the fourth floor, I would be sitting with this visual drop right beside me as I waited.

    I refused to go into the room and the staff acted like I was a trouble-maker. "Well, we don't have another room and you'll just have to wait longer." "That's fine because I can't sit in that room comfortably and I'd rather wait longer than be in that room."

    Rob is doing very well, recovering nicely. Now the really scary part begins . . . no insurance + emergency room + emergency surgery + 3 days in hospital = ???

    I can't even being to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I totally understand. 6 Weeks at Mayo clinic also leaves one with some horrifying medical bills! And with corrective treatments and surgery yet to come...

    ReplyDelete