Saturday, February 05, 2011

Quote of the Day

Name Withheld:  Every atheist I know thinks they're superior to anyone who is not an atheist.

I don't think I'm superior.  Oh . . . well, maybe to some people but I don't think I think I'm superior to anyone just because they believe differently from me.  This was said to me at a dinner party and I didn't say anything.  I didn't really know what to say to this but I guess I should have leaned forward and said, "Golly, until you said that I didn't think I was superior to you but now I do so I guess you're right."

In context, however, I didn't "self-identify" and the conversation was about anti-Semitism and how I couldn't read Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion because of what I read early on in the book.  From there it went to discussing the "new atheists" and the attitude that some atheists have where anyone who believes in anything supernatural, especially God, is a fool or a superstitious fool but a fool nonetheless.

And it was to this which the person at the party made the sweeping generalization that all atheists feel they are superior and judge theists.

You simply gotta love the irony, don't you?




4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that I'm atheist but man...I do feel superior to some people and their beliefs. Totally.

    Just like I feel superior to those who drink often because they think it's cool.

    But, I thoroughly enjoy this type of elitism and don't really care if people judge me for it. I'm better then them anyway, why should I care what they think.

    I hope I don't lose any points with you for saying this but I totally get it from Joe. I wasn't like this before I met him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, not at all. I once asked Joe, "Do you ever feel superior to those around you?" He said yes and I blamed myself. Not because I was one of those mothers who praised her son for being so wonderful or perfect or any of those things but because I had exposed him to so much by way of culture--art, music, literature, etc.--that I knew we often allude to things for which others don't have a context. I catch the "huh?" expression on people's faces a lot, especially when we're on a roll during a discussion and I realize that we've once again ventured into some obscure frame of reference and left everyone else feeling like they've wandered into a Dali painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should mention this but Joe had me terrified to meet you. And the very first time we met, I think it was when you noticed the tattoo on the back of my neck and asked me about it (in front of Matt so Joe wouldn't let me answer because at that point Brianna was a big secret to everyone).
    Anyway, back to my original story, the first time we met, you and Joe were having one of these conversations that you are speaking of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sorry for anyone who gets sucked into this family. We have so many inside jokes that it can't be easy to keep up. But you're holding your own and learning the random allusions as we go along. I taught my friend Megan the joke behind "cunt" today and we laughed a lot as I interjected the word at various appropriate moments.

    ReplyDelete