Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Two Weeks from Today Begins Lenten Season

Although the past couple of years or so, I haven't committed to giving up anything for the Lenten season it hasn't because I didn't want to do so. Rather, I simply could not think of anything that would genuinely feel like a sacrifice.

But this year I finally thought of something that would truly feel like a sacrifice on my part.

The only thing I can't quite figure out is what purpose it would serve for me spiritually.  Truth is, in the past as I have used the sacrifice as a gentle reminder to pray, to meditate, etc.  So why should or would an atheist choose to participate in this clearly religious ritual and to what purpose?

I'll ruminate upon this further.  In the meantime, be aware that when I officially announce what it is I will be giving up it might be a bit of a shock and I don't want to cause any of my readers harm.  I suggest you ensure you are sitting down before you read any more of my posts until I make the announcement.  It won't cause anyone to pass out altogether from shock but it may knock you off balance a bit and question whether or not pigs are indeed flying.

Hand Blown Glass Flying Pig, Pink Wings

3 comments:

  1. I suggest you sit back in your seat so you don't fall out of it. Just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's okay. I was groggy when I wrote this because I meant to change the title but forgot. Oops.

    ReplyDelete