Friday, February 04, 2011

Weekly Quotes Part 5


Anne of Avonlea

. . . I don’t want her to be like other people.  There are too many other people around as it is. (264)

I think the reason I chose this quote from what Davy says about Anne for so many obvious reasons.  I don't want anyone I know to be like "other people" and I don't understand why anyone wants to try to be like "other people" and, yet, I know more people do try and fail and try again.  I say just surrender to yourself and don't forget to breathe.  It's so much easier!





Younger By the Day

In a patriarchal culture, mature women threaten the status quo.  We think for ourselves.  We don’t believe everything we’re told.  We realize that consumerism is not the key to happiness and we have the audacity to say so.  We like the truth and we’re willing to sort through a litany of lies to get to it.  (41)






Garland of Love

You never really lose anybody you have loved.  No matter what may separate you–time, distance, the relationships that preceded or may follow this one, even death–the love you shared and the soul you encountered through that love is yours forever in your heart, in who you are, in how you love.  (January 30)

Sometimes part of the grief we experience when there is a loss--when a relationship ends for whatever reason--we think it is because we are trying to hold onto the love we think we've lost.  The truth is, the grief connects us with the past but the love is always with us.  And it is okay to hold onto the past so long as it heals the presence and we know when it is time to let go.


Simple Abundance

Joyful simplicities nourish body and soul by engaging our senses.  They teach us how to live in the present moment.  Life comes together when we seek out the Sublime in the ordinary.  (January 31)







Breaking the Silence


When I became a caregiver to my mother, I found poetry writing a powerful tool to help transcend the burden of caregiving.  (xix)

. . . I’m often asked ‘How do you help people write poetry who claim never to have written anything except grocery lists?’  It is possible if one believes as I do, that there is a poet in each of us who wants to be heard.  (xxi-xxii)

I'm reading this book for the newsletter and am collecting quotes that may appear in the future newsletter.  I initially thought I wouldn't share them here but then I thought I should.  

Death’s Door

In fact, just as we’ve relegated the dying to social margins (hospitals, nursing homes, hospices), so too we’ve sequestered death’s twins–grief and mourning–because they all too often constitute unnerving, in some cases, indeed, embarrassing reminders of the death whose ugly materiality we not only want to hide but also seek to flee (247)

[I]t’s ultimately the mourner who is embarrassed by her own suffering, encumbered with a weight of woe that fences her around with shame and blocks or mutes her speech.  (255)





Insecure at Last

We are able to cross and dissolve all kinds of borders if we are willing to go to the political, emotional, and spiritual places we most fear and resist . . . . I am proposing that we can reconceive the dream.  That we can consider wht would happen if security were not the point of our existence.  That we find freedom, aliveness, and power not from what contains, locates, or protects us but from what dissolves, reveals, and expands us.  (xix-xx)


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes we do say we want to be like everyone else and we have spent a LOT of time trying to. But in the end?? We don't really want to. I think what we mean is we don't want to struggle with simple things like everyone. But then again we don't know what others struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember once diminishing some sadness or stress I was feeling. "I know that other people have it worse" or something to that effect. My mother pointed out that we each have our degrees of suffering and that suffering can't be quantified.

    I think this goes with a lot of things. How we cope, the struggles we face with simple day to day things, cannot be measured. I know a lot of people are in awe of how I cope with my vertigo; usually these are the people who have, themselves, experienced a bout of vertigo that lasted only a few hours or days and they are surprised that I've had it for years. Other people ask me pointed questions about why I was doing better but am now doing worse without considering the plethora of factors that affect how I feel from day to day; these are the people who have never experienced vertigo for themselves so they have no context for empathy.

    It is like that old cliche about walking a mile in someone's shoes. Until you've done it yourself, you really can't imagine what is happening in that person's head, heart, life. It's easy to say we would trade places with someone else but, if the opportunity were to truly present itself, would we really be any happier? Probably not. There are always struggles; just different ones for different people.

    ReplyDelete