Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Stephanie Staal's Reading List

I liked Reading Women so much that I really would love to have a book group meet in my home once a month to discuss these great books. There are others listed in the book that are not listed on her site (like Christine de Pizan) that I want to read as well.  To that end, I sent an email to those who are least likely to say they are interested for a variety of reasonable reasons--too busy, etc.  These wouldn't even be excuses for these women, frankly, because I honestly know that they are ridiculously busy.

I figure, if I can get the least likely to express interest then it will be easy to approach the more likely and get a group going. It's been a long time since a book has excited me this much.  And of all the feminist books I've read lately, this one is hands down the best I've read in ages.

And some of the books in this list are available for free because they are in the public domain now.  All the better!

From Stephanie Staal's Site:

Below are some of the books I discuss in Reading Women:

Adam, Eve, and the Serpent by Elaine Pagels

A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan

The Dialectic of Sex by Shulamith Firestone

Sexual Politics by Kate Millett

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

In a Different Voice by Carol Gilligan

Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria by Sigmund Freud


The Morning After: Sex, Fear, and Feminism by Katie Roiphe

Gender Trouble by Judith Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment