Friday, July 01, 2011

Commit to Sit Challenge: Day One


I’m assuming anyone participating in the Commit to Sit Challenge with me has already read at least the first part of the article, if not the entire thing.  With that said, here is the first week’s meditation practice as described in the article.
Monday–Friday: Meditate for twenty minutes in the morning and in the evening, focusing on the breath.
Weekend Challenge: Devote two hours this weekend to contemplation of the breath. Sessions should be at least thirty minutes long. Spend the entire two hours in silence, alone or with other practitioners.
As far as I know, we will all be doing this "alone" although sharing the experience together from a distance.  I mentioned yesterday that it might be a good idea to not attempt the “weekend challenge” until next weekend because we will be starting this on the first.  However, you may have already chosen not to start tomorrow with the intention of starting on Monday.

If I haven’t said it enough already, this challenge should be approached with openness and flexibility so please do whatever works for you.

I’ll post occasional updates about my experiences but I don’t think I’ll share daily because how often do you really want to read “I meditated this morning” and “I meditated this evening.”  Maybe I’ll do a weekly check-in post, sharing my personal experience–any struggles and successes I have along the way–and another for the weekend challenges.  Does that sound do-able/readable?  I hope so.

I hope you’ll choose to share your own stories/experiences with me.  For those who are blogging about it, I’ll be reading along (even when/if I do not comment).  If you feel comfortable sharing in comments, that is also fine.  Or, if you prefer, you are welcome to email me–see my profile for a link to email me.

Sharing this is making it all the more exciting for me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite pleased and surprised by my day 1. I ended up with a collage in addition to meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased as well. I didn't have any profound experience but the simple act of following through on a promise I've made myself has a certain fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete