Sunday, July 03, 2011

I simply had to share this


My library’s search engine is an endless source of confusion for me.  Today I typed in “Pride and Prejudice” and hit “title.”  The results are as follows:
A novel by:
Steve Hockensmith
Seth Grahame-Smith
Colleen McCullough
A sound recording of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice
Aha!  We must be getting close.  But no.  Wait.  What?
A novel by:
Carrie Bebris
5 more by Rebecca Ann Collins
a videorecording of Becoming Jane
A novel by Elizabeth Aston
A biography by Sandeep Jauhar
a book Memo to the President Elect by Medeleine Korbel Albright
A downloadable biography of Jane Austen by Elizabeth Jenkins
A sound recording of Pride and Prejudice (unabridged)
Woohoo!  We must be there now, right?
Videorecording of Pride and Prejudice
Oops.  Maybe not.
A novel by:
Linda Berdoll
Pride and Prejudice in Chinese (no copies, however, are currently available)
A book on British naval history by N A M Rodger called The Command of the Ocean
Seriously.  I typed in “Pride and Prejudice” and the closest I came to a book copy is one written in Chinese?  And who knew there was such a demand for this novel in Chinese that the book would be unavailable?  But wait.  There’s another page of search results.  Let’s see if the novel in English (it is, after all, a classic of British literature) actually shows up on page two of my search.
A novel by Elizabeth Aston (large print this time)
An electronic resource for teaching Jane Austen in the classroom
A book by Mike S Adams called Welcome to the Ivory Tower of Babel
A novel by:
Linda Berdoll
and 2 by Elizabeth Aston (same novel, one is large print)
An electronic resource called Eavesdropping in the novel from Austen to Proust by Ann Elizabeth Gaylin
Okay.  So that last one might be interesting but I am actually trying to find a copy of Pride and Prejudice here and so far I’m 27 search results into my search and . . . .
Another sound recording of Pride and Prejudice
Beyond Ebonics by John Baugh
Readings on Pride and Prejudice by Clarice Swisher
Clarise Swisher?  I mean, what a great name!  Like something out of a Jane Austen novel.  That is, if you can actually find a Jane Austen novel to read in your library’s online catalog.  Otherwise, you may not realize that Swisher's name is truly like something out of a Jane Austen novel.
An electronic resource: Novels for Students by Diane Telgen
Understanding Pride and Prejudice by Debra Teachman
Okay.  That’s another great name but I have to ask, Why would I want to read a book about understanding a novel that I can’t even find in my library’s catalog?
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Yaaaaay!  The 33rd item in the list is the book for which I was searching all along.  (Three results later is another listing for it, this one with more copies available throughout the county library system.)

I hope that this gives you all a great appreciation for how remarkable it is that I ever find any books to borrow from my public library.  I certainly am impressed with myself and my relentless efforts to find new books to enjoy.

PS:  I put in a reserve request.  My local library's only copy is apparently checked out.  I am inclined to think it is being read by the same person who is reading the Chinese translation just to compare the two texts.

4 comments:

  1. I invite you on my new blog.
    Will be a lot of pictures, music, films, cars etc.
    It would be nice if you'll visit my blog sometimes :)

    http://bianchii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, sounds familiar. :D That's probably why most of the books I borrow are picked by chance...

    As for the movie: I haven't seen many lately (except for the "Doctor's Diary" marathon with my sister... *g*), so no recommendations that I can think of. Buuuuhut: Have you noticed there's another 24hr zine thing this year?! ;) http://24hourzines.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I did notice and I was just thinking about you last night, wondering if you were going to do it.

    I sent an email out to everyone who did it with me last time to see if anyone wanted to come over and do it again.

    Nobody responded. Not sure what that implies but it was disappointing. I know I could just do it alone but it was fun doing it with a group although my "group" was only two others (with a brief visit from a third and a couple of other gatecrashers). I suppose I could send out a couple more notes. Perhaps my first was premature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bianchii

    Thank you for sharing the link to your blog and for leaving a comment in mine. I hope your mother's pregnancy is going smoothly. I would imagine the birth has come and gone so perhaps even congratulations are in order? I look forward to pictures.

    ReplyDelete