Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quote from Julian of Norwich

When I first read Julian of Norwich, I was especially enamored of this particular vision she had and, since I finally finished copying all of my notes (including the marginal Biblical texts I tucked in), I wanted to share this.

And in this he showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying I the palm of my hand, as it seemed to me, and it was as round as a ball.  I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought:  What can this be?  I was amazed that it could last, for I thought that because of its littleness it would suddenly have fallen into nothing.  And I was answered in my understanding: It lasts and always will, because God loves it; and thus everything has being through the love of God.  (183)
Image of olive branch and hazelnut
found here.

2 comments:

  1. I could make several comments that border on blasphemy so I will just giggle to myself at all the other things that God has let last and always will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could think of a few myself. That was one of the reasons I avoided rereading the text for so long. I didn't think I could approach it with an openness. Certainly, I didn't feel about it this time as I did before. It seems more quaint and even precious now but not much else.

    ReplyDelete