Friday, July 01, 2011

Weekly Quotes Part 26

Julian of Norwich Showings
 
The showing of God’s compassion is intended to teach us to love ourselves and our brethren as he does. This is his endless comfort of us. (59)

[W]e are all one in love.  (136)

I can’t say how many times I have seen this quoted and improperly. This is why I get so annoyed when people do not cite a quote properly because it is nearly impossible to read the quote in context but when one can read then, of course, the person using the quote had better be sure they are using it appropriately.  So often when I see this quote used, the person is saying that Julian of Norwich is showing how God loves us all equally.  In context, however, Julian clearly states the “we” are those who are “my fellow Christians” which, in her eyes, only included those who belonged to the Holy Church.  It is a nice quote but not nearly as nice as some people try to make it seem. 

[A]ll will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.  (149)

[I]t would be most unkind of me to blame God or marvel at him on account of my sins, since he does not blame me for sin.  (149)

Repeatedly, Julian says that God does not hold us accountable for our sins because he simply does not see them. It is important to understand that she is not talking about God not seeing any sin; rather, she is saying that God does not see the sins of those who are His Lovers, fellow Christians only, and ultimately only those who belong to Holy Church.
[I]t is more honour to God to know everything in general than it is to take delight in any special thing.  And if I were to act wisely, in accordance with this teaching, I should not be glad because of any special thing or be distressed by anything to all, for all will be well.  (153)

[U]ntil I am substantially united to him, I can never have perfect rest or true happiness, until, that is, I am so attached to him that there can be no created thing between my God and me.  (183)

But I saw nothing so exactly specified concerning the Jews who put him to death; and nonetheless I knew in my faith that they were eternally accursed and condemned, except those who were converted by grace.  (234)

Needless to say, I find this quotation offensive, as should any true Christian, whether a member of the Holy Church or not.  

Finding Water

Making art is an act of faith, a movement toward expansion.  (2)

Who am I if I long to write and I am not writing?  Am I a pretender?  An also-ran?  A coward?  (15)

My artist’s eye must be schooled in the particular.  (39)






The Last Samurai

[T]he secret of success is to complete a single simple task on a daily basis.  (153)

There is a strange taboo in our society against matricide.  (253)

This made me laugh.  No doubt my children have occasionally thought it a strange taboo.  Goodness knows, I've given them reason enough to want to kill me.  

The fact is that most people are illogical out of habit rather than stupidity; they could probably be rational quite easily if they were properly taught.  (363-364)

Simple Abundance
We are not known so much for our . . . skills as for the triumph of our enthusiasm over our prior experience.  (June 26)

No comments:

Post a Comment