Friday, July 08, 2011

Weekly Quotes Part 27

Romancing the Ordinary

Life is a mixed metaphor.  (268)

I found this so amusing that I nearly snorted when I read it.  Life is a mixed metaphor.  Ha!  Good one.

Today come to the life-affirming awareness that there’s really no such thing as a mistake.  It’s simply that you’d make a different choice now than the one you did then, even if then was yesterday.  (248)

It stands to reason that we learn from our experiences and the things we define as "mistakes of the past" are typically the best we knew how to do at the time.  We only fail ourselves when we know what we can do and choose to do less than our best.  And if we can somehow learn from this, and commit to choosing our own best each and every time, then even that is no longer a failure.

The Last Samurai

Sibylla thinks no one is put off by difficulty only be boredom and if something is interesting no one will care how hard it is. . . . (437)

If there were a divine being it would hardly arrange to communicate through a series of events which might just as well have come about by pure coincidence, and on the other hand a series of events which could come about through pure coincidence can hardly be evidence of either the wishes or existence of such a being.  (463)




Far from seeking emancipation , they [Rhys’s heroines] seem to apply themselves to cultivating their subjection.  (10)

. . .Marya herself creates the conditions of her own victimization.  (14)

I don't know that Marya, in Quartet, is fully culpable for her victimization.  While one might hope that she would have been suspicious of her husband's actions, his arrest merely wakes her up to her reality.  The choices she then makes are desperate, no doubt.  Her continued reliance on her husband's wisdom also suggests that she is not heeding the obvious.  What comes of his arrest is as much a result of her being a victim of circumstance and the conditions she creates for herself.

Her work has little to gain from a purely semantic approach for, where theme is concerned, she offers no significant breakthrough in terms of feminist dissent.  (25)

Any finite picture of the heroine is discarded as inadequate and replaced by a mode of representation that makes certainty impossible.  (37)

The feminine is an elusive presence that Jean Rhys cannot quite articulate, but which she strives to recapture.  (50)

Woman . . . tends to be constructed negatively in an androcentric society.  (51)

In Jean Rhys’s stories, the representation of otherness often combines phallocentrism and enthnocentrism.  (52)

From the point of view of the other, the norm itself becomes other.  (62)

I can't help but think that this is indicative of how strange I think it is when someone says I'm strange.  I've said it before, that if we are all unique it only makes sense we would all be different.  I don't even know that I understand the concept of normal.  

The fundamental antiphrasis in Jean Rhys’s fiction consists of staging a set of androcentric, consensual norms while showing that what is usually taken as ‘civilized’ or ‘proper’ behavior is in fact akin to primitive barbarity.  (64)

Simple Abundance

. . . I am a much happier woman when I can pay my bills with ease, take care of all my needs, indulge a few of my wants, and have a comfortable cushion of savings.  (July 1)

Don't we all.  Breathnach further goes on to say that she'd like to just see something she wants and buy it without looking at the price.  I don't know that I would ever get to that because I love finding a bargain and how am I going to know I got one if I don't know what it costs and what it ought to cost?  



Rilla of Ingleside

Dramatic things always have a bitterness for some one.  (15)

It definitely seems to me that as we get older, drama loses its appeal.  








Dance of Intimacy

It is only in long-term relationships that we are called upon to navigate that delicate balance between separateness and connectedness and that we confront the challenge of sustaining both—without losing either when the going gets rough.  (2)

[I]n relationship between dominant and subordinate groups, the subordinate group members always possess a far greater understanding of dominant group members and their culture than vice versa.  (6)

As long as women function for men, men will have no need to change.  (8)

In our rapidly changing society we can count on only two things that will never change.  What will never change is the will to change and the fear of change.  It is the will to change that motivates us to seek help.  It is the fear of change that motivates us to resist the very help we seek.  (10)

Finding Water

Artist's love drama and when we do not create it on the page or on the stage, we often create it in our lives.  (50)

I love it when the random things I'm reading converge, where one quote seems to build from another or complement it in some way.  I can't help wondering if this doesn't offer some explanation for why so many artists are often self-destructive, this need for drama manifesting in dangerous behaviors.  Regardless, it is an interesting observation and I can see this tendency in myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment