Friday, July 15, 2011

Weekly Quotes Part 28


. . . Deborah Kloepfer argues ‘Jean Rhys’s fiction operates around an economy of loss—loss of language, loss of homeland, loss of economic and sexual power, and loss of the mother.’ (82)

Quoting from a letter Jean Rhys wrote in which she describes Voyage in the Dark.
‘Something to do with time being an illusion I think.  I mean that the past exists side by side with the present, not behind it; that what was—is.’ (84)

If quotation and cliché both are borrowings from previous texts, quotation interrelates two individual discursive units while cliché, collectively authored, tends to connect the borrowed unit with collective discourse and its social backdrop, highlighting the fact that there is no such thing as private property in the field of language, that everything is socialized.  (121)

Simple Abundance

This is either a cosmic joke or a cosmic lesson. . . . (July 10)

Poverty is always experienced in the soul before it is felt in the pocketbook.  (July 12)

In some ways, this applies to even those who are fiscally affluent but are emotionally or spiritually bereft.  Most of the people I have admired most are the ones who see who blessed they are and fully appreciate it.  I also admire those who make situations that seem less than lovely full of joy because they know how to delight in every given moment.  Of course, we all know the type of person who only sees the doom and gloom in everything.  

Journals of Sylvia Plath

If they substituted the word ‘lust’ for ‘love’ in popular songs it would come nearer the truth.  (16)

[D]oes not my desire to write come from a tendency toward introversion begun when I was small, brought up as I was in the fairy-tale world of Mary Poppins and Winnie-the-Pooh? (20)

Being born a woman is my awful tragedy. . . My consuming interest in men and their lives is often misconstrued as a desire to seduce them, or as an invitation to intimacy.  (30)

The first part of the above quote reminds me of one person and the second half of another person I know.   

It is sad to be only to mouth other poets. I want someone to mouth me. (33)

Why am I obsessed with the idea I can justify myself by getting manuscripts published? (33)

Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is most becoming?  (38)
  
Romancing the Ordinary

From this moment on, repeat after me:  There is never too much of a good thing.  Or as our great spiritual Mother, Mae West, teaches: ‘Too much of a good thing is wonderful.’  And when we get to the exalted state of bliss where our daily round does indeed seem just too wonderful for words, let’s keep it that way with another two:  Thank you.  (284)

Quoting Sally Brampton
Well-being is not a state of mind, or even of body.  It is a state of grace. (287)

The cruelest and most cunning way we deceive and deny ourselves the benediction f bliss is through the concept of duty to others.  (288)

Self-loathing seems to sneak up on us when we’ve become spendthrifts of the soul.  (294)

No comments:

Post a Comment