Friday, October 07, 2011

Weekly Quotes Part 40



Maybe when people longed for a thing that bad the longing made them trust in anything that might give  it to them.  (61)

It is hard not to think that this holds true for those many people who find themselves in a relationship that isn't fulfilling, is even detrimental to their own well-being, and yet cannot tell how they got here from there.  How many people have you seen rush into a relationship because they wanted to be in a relationship and not because they wanted to be in a relationship with a particular person?  I've seen it happen too often.  

It is not more children we need but more chances for the ones already on the earth.  (89)

And how can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?  (399)


Keep your eyes open, see clearly, think about what you see, ask yourself what it means.  (235)

I should have said to the class:  Come back!  I’ve made a mistake.  Forget observation, consciousness, clear-sightedness.  Forget about life.  Admit that you understand nothing of life, nothing of what you see.  Then go out and look at the world.  (248)


[C]hoice is your greatest power.  (17)

You are not born knowing how great an artist or how powerful a healer or how stalwart a friend you could be in this lifetime.  You are not born knowing how deeply you can love and care for another.  You have to learn to act with courage, self-confidence, and faith.  (18)

Just as our dreams can help us solve our problems if we pay attention to them, so can our still small voice within.  (46)

The obvious is never the whole truth. (72)

For the first time, I am featuring a quote from a blog.  I probably won't make a habit of this; please don't take it personally.  I share these quotes because I either find them inspirational or provocative in some way.  Either I resonate with the meaning of what is in the words or I find it utterly ridiculous.  You never really know.  So here is what I feel is an inspirational thought even if you find it ridiculous.


A few weeks ago, I wrote the following thought on a Post-It note:  You never quit being afraid, but you do learn to mask the fear.

However, I've been thinking a better Post-It thought might be:  You never quit being afraid, but you don't have to let it mask who you are.



We none of us expect to be in smooth water all our days.  (68)

Her spirits wanted the solitude and silence which only numbers could give. (87)

One man’s ways may be as good as another’s but we all like our own best.  (125)

Every body has their taste in noises as well as in other matter; and sounds are quite innoxious, or most distressing by their sort rather than their quantity.  (133)


Inspiration is better than condemnation.  (23)

On page 127 the author makes a most ridiculous observation about how many books on American history there are at the library and in bookstores.  She finds this remarkable because the United States is such a young nation.  It is this sort of short-sighted observation that leaves me incredulous.  Obviously there are a lot of books about American history in local libraries and bookstores.  To point out the obvious, we live in the United States.  In the bookstores where I shop, there's also a Georgia History section (or Local History Section) which I never saw any of the times I shopped in bookstores in New York City because, and this really should not come as a surprise to anyone but this author apparently, I live in Georgia so of course there is an emphasis on shelving and stocking books that are relevant to the immediate audience.

I hope she travels to another country so she can see that in Australia and Ireland and France and anywhere outside of North America the history of the United States does not dominate any bookshelves and is probably relegated to a single shelf, at best.

Honestly, it is embarrassing and no surprise that other people find Americans so arrogant.

2 comments:

  1. This new format is disconcerting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you talking about the format of the post or the design of the page?

    If it's the latter, there's a drop down menu in the upper left (just below my name) and you can change whatever it is you see. I change how I look at it randomly because I'm still trying to decide whether I like this or not. So I'm not sure what it is you are actually seeing. Flipcard or magazine or classic. . . ? But this layout does give the reader more control over what they see and how they see it which is why I am giving it a shot.

    ReplyDelete