Friday, March 30, 2012

Weekly Quotes 2012-4



[W]e all need the reassuring and healing messages that treasured rituals provide.  (December 14)

Quoting Sue Bender
Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to give myself a gold star for being ordinary, and maybe one of these days I’ll give myself a gold star for being extraordinary—for persisting.  And maybe one day I won’t need to have a star at all.  (December 16)

Oh, how I wish that I knew from where the author read this quote.  I think it's a great one and I would love to share it properly.

Quoting Joseph Campbell
We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  (December 26)

This is one of those ubiquitous quotes. Practically any website that features quotes from Joseph Campbell includes this one.  

Quoting Sheila Graham
You can have anything you want if you want it desperately enough.  You must want it with an exuberance that erupts through the skin and joins the energy that created the world.  (December 28)

One of the problems I had with reading this book was that I knew too much about what happens to the author after she wrote this book, after she achieved her dreams and found the writing success that most writers can only dream of having.  Because I knew "too much," I couldn't read quotes like this one without feeling a mixture of sadness and a touch of self-righteousness.  I didn't want to feel either of these things for her, however.  Even after reading Breathnach's last book, where she describes some of  the surprises life had in store for her, I had a sort of trust that her life would still be full of creativity and some success.  So maybe life had to make her desperate enough again to get enough back, not all but enough, to where she would feel content and fulfilled.  



[A]n occasional memento of past folly, however painful, might not be without use. (190)

She was ashamed of Isabella, and ashamed of having ever loved her. (207)


I read this book at a time when I was hurt by someone so these two quotes sort of resonated for me.  I tend to be seemingly unforgiving.  If someone tries to hurt me by hurting someone I love, I tend to cut them out of my life altogether.  A few times, I've had these people try to come back into my life but I choose not to be open to them any longer.  I would like to think it is because I don't want to risk seeing someone I love being hurt again by the same so-called friend.  The truth is, I probably can't bear the responsibility of seeing this friend hurting someone I love and knowing I am the one who let them get close enough to do so.  It hurts too much to see someone I love hurt.


It is strange, but when you’re dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up.  (317)

If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.  (525)

I use the Pensieve.  One simply siphons excess thoughts from one’s mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one’s leisure.  It becomes easier to spot patterns and links, you understand, when they are in this form.  (597)


The first time I read this novel, I immediately thought of journals and how they gives the writer a means of stepping away from the experience, to be objective about even the most subjective of things, and find meaning.  

‘If I thought I could help you,’ Dumbledore said gently, ‘by putting you into an enchanted sleep and allowing you to postpone the moment when you would have to think about what has happened tonight, I would do it.  But I know better.  Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.’  (695)

In our society, we are so eager to numb ourselves to pain.  As a result, the lessons that come through pain are lost. I certainly am as guilty as the next person.  But the older I get, the more I appreciate the depth of feeling that comes with all of life's experiences, even the ones we think are killing us at some level.  I can think of examples, of a friend who lost herself in a hopeless relationship because her father was dying, of another friend who used xanax to get her through a divorce and then a widowhood and probably another divorce, and another who still uses alcohol to quiet her internal demons and holds anger so close that she feels little else.  For me it is sleep.  It's always my drug of choice.  I also know that there are times when one is feeling so much that it all becomes numb and the only way to feel anything at all is to use something to stifle the overwhelming flood of feelings.



. . .  Our parents see us through the distorting filter of their own history and life circumstances.  . . .  When parents get intensely focused on some aspect of a child’s behavior, they typically have no clue about what force from their own past is driving them.  (96)

Families are not fair, and we do not choose the family we are born into.  Our parents, being human, cannot create the perfect climate, like a garden greenhouse, to foster the blossoming of our true, authentic selves.  (96)

What a huge challenge it is to arrive at a place where our wish to understand the other person is as great as our wish to be understood!  (99)

. . .  I hold values, beliefs, and goals that may transcend the impulse to ‘be myself’ or to ‘be honest,’ without invitation, at any particular moment.  I do not, for example, wish to hurt another human being unnecessarily.  I value kindness and compassion.  Sometimes the very urgency or intensity of my emotions is the red flag that signals me to stop and think, to separate out fleeting reactions from my more enduring and significant feelings.  (105)

Truth-telling obviously requires us to ‘be ourselves.’  But it may also require us to exercise restraint, as we consider matters of timing and tact, and what we hope to accomplish in a relationship.  (108)


Her spirits wanted the solitude and silence which only numbers could give. (87)


I literally snorted when I read this. It is so anathema to me.  I seek solitude so often.  I am fortunate in Rob's being understanding, even patient, with me when I am withdrawing.  He is as likely to remind me to meditate as I am to say, "I am going to sit for a few minutes."  Now if only he could be as conscious of my need for uninterrupted time when I'm writing.

One man’s ways may be as good as another’s but we all like our own best.  (125)


Good or evil must be seen in terms of relationship with others, not absolutes of action.  (36)


I read something online recently about how there is a difference between those who live their faith and those who merely follow their faith. The former uses the teachings of their chosen path and considers them in light of societal changes; so when the Bible tells slaves to obey their masters or the Qur'an speaks against homosexuality, there is a space created within the conscience that acknowledges that slavery is never justified and homosexuals are not worthy of death.  Those who follow, ignore all scientific and even moral evidence in favor of using their sacred text, removing all need of questioning and, too often, reasoning.

Claiming the self is always an act of heroism.  (63)

Buffy and Harry [Potter], unique in their own powers and ordinary in their insecurities, have one major strength in common:  their friends.  (75)

There is always the danger that you will reflect what you oppose, that you will become the thing you fight.  (77)

Power must be balanced with the mercy borne of human connection.  (77)
[T]hose who are conscious of self are also conscious of death.  (120)
What we laugh at tells us who we are.  (130)


Sex and death can be inspiring.  (155)
My quotes are down to 61 pages now.  Perhaps next week, I'll begin adding in the quotes from my morning books.  I haven't even counted how many pages of those quotes I have on top of the other quotes from the late-morning/afternoon/evening/bedtime books.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Joseph Campbell quote in particular. I really enjoyed these Satia!

    ReplyDelete