Sunday, April 08, 2012

All Good Things Must Come to an End

Kanika usually orders the
Blueberry Crunch Pancakes
And so it is that my birthday week has come to an end.

But first, brunch with Kanika where she resisted the urge to get her usual and we both ended up ordering the spinach quiche.  It had too much black pepper for my taste which, if you think about it, wrapped up my birthday flavor-wise quite nicely.  Next time I'm ordering the lemon ricotta pancakes, diet be damned!  (Okay.  Quiche wasn't a very responsible choice but it had veggies and I had fresh fruit on the side.  Yummm . . .)

The fun didn't end there, however.  We headed to Barnes & Noble where I was able to spend the gift card she gave to me.  Oh boy.  I bought myself one bargain book and another book I've been wanting to read for about twenty years.  Cheri and The Last of Cheri by Collette and The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris.  I really want to read the latter because I was surprised (and confused) when someone told me that, when she said she wasn't a Christian, a believer confronted her with the assumption that unless a person is a Christian they cannot have a moral compass or understand what it means to be a good person.

The rest of my Saturday was spent trying to come down from a great Saturday morning except for the side trip Rob and I made to World Market to buy some 50% off things for Bibi's egg hunt.  Of course, we picked up a couple of things that will be in next year's basket as well.  While out we found a few other bargains including a Tangled video game for the Wii and a couple of movies (Dark City:  The Director's Cut and The Painted Veil.)
I love these
little chenille chickens
almost more than Bibi
loves them.

Easter Sunday morning I did the unthinkable:  I slept in.  After 7am even!  What's more, I did not listen to the political chatter on the morning shows nor did I read the headlines or anything anywhere and any time.  I knew Joe, Erin, and Bibi were coming over so my priorities were to get ready for their arrival.  No depressing news.  Nothing to make me angry.  Nothing to inspire me to bang my head into a wall.

We had a wonderful Easter.  I know because, when it was time for Bibi to leave, she cried and then she cheered up and, without any prompting from anyone she said, "Thank you for a wonderful Easter, Gigi and Pop-Pop."

Something else happened this weekend.  Something that could quite honestly signify the end of life as we know it.  That something . . . I shudder to even write the words . . . is . . . I hope you're sitting down for this . . . I have entered the 21st century.

Yes.  I'm afraid I have a confession to make and apparently I have been given a Kindle of my very own.  Naturally, once Joe & Co left, I went online and started going through the free books available for my new toy.  Within a few minutes, I had added my very first book.  I immediately grabbed something to read and walked into the other room. "I added a book to the Kindle," I told Rob who was probably catching up on his email before I interrupted him with my announcement.

"What's that in your hand?"

"This is the book I borrowed from the library."

Yeah.  I added a book to my new toy and then grabbed a library book so I could read.  Maybe my announcing I've entered the 21st century was somewhat premature.  I guess we can all breathe easy now.  I'm not quite there yet.


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on entering the 21st century :) I have yet to get a Kindle but everyone tells me of how awesome they are. Glad you had a good birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to adjust to this concept of "book" because I can already see that I am not immediately embracing it. Rob suggested I should carry it around with me, as I do my books, and eventually I would feel differently.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your Kindle. I hope you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of the writing of this reply, I have not yet managed to read one entire chapter on the Kindle. I tacitly started three chapters. I know I can do this, I can get used to it. My mother has a nook and her husband has a kindle so clearly I can do this.

      Delete