Monday, April 02, 2012

Birthday Day One

My daughter came over to celebrate my birthday week with me and our dear friend Chris also joined us.

Anyone who knows us knows that birthdays mean pizza.  Rob made two pizzas--a white pizza with spinach and a sausage with onion and green pepper pizza.  Yummmmmm . . .

And the cake.  Look at it  Isn't that an amazing looking cake?  Sugar free yellow cake with no sugar added raspberry preserves and sugar-free white chocolate whipped custard filling.  The outside is almond flavored whipped cream with no sweetener added whatsoever.  The roses, which are coated with edible glitter dust, are made of sugar-fee marzipan.

Now I should interject that Rob and I were unhappy with the recipe we used for the marzipan and we are still trying to work out how we can make it taste better.  We've added notes to the recipe and, on the next round, we should be that much closer.  Between my taste buds and his determination, I am certain that only two more attempts will be needed, at most.  We may pull it off with one more go.

All in all, it was quiet and relaxed.  Had Chris not been able to come, I might have suggested Shira and I watch Bent.  (Let me clarify that I am referring her to the movie starring Clive Owen and not the televisions show which I myself have never watched.)

Rob came home from taking my darling daughter home and we watch Game of Thrones.  Thanks to someone I love, I am being forced to read the book because he is reading the book.  I was willing to wait until the final book was in print to read the series.  Apparently, the people I love have other plans for me and my reading.  *sigh*



10 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great birthday week. I am about to buy season 1 of Game of Thrones...do you like it? I've never read the books but I really hear great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you like Dexter and Six Feet Under so we have some cross-over in the type of television we appreciate. My tastes are not typical so I never assume that what I like is something others will like. Unfortunately, I can't even say that because others recommended it to me I watched it because the recommendation of others does not automatically result in a mutual appreciation. I am thinking of one particular show everyone said I would love and my daughter and I both found too silly for words. I may not be your best lead on this but I will say that Rob loves one of the characters and I am very fond of two as well as a third. So if you can find a character that you like, you're probably in for the long haul.

      Delete
  2. That cake is gorgeous and I can't believe it's sugar free. All those ingredients together sound luscious. I'm hungry now!! Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Rob's diabetes, we've had the challenge of finding new ways of eating and it is wonderful that we both enjoy a challenge because we're open to trying new things and testing limits. If we can get the marzipan recipe right then I'll be making sugar-free rainbow cookies. My mouth is water at the thought.

      Delete
  3. Have a very happy birthday! Pizza and cake sound wonderful. Enjoy your special week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's been lovely. And Rob finds the cake so irresistible that, although our original plan was to have enough cake for our guests coming on Wednesday, it looks like we will have to make another cake for tomorrow. Oh darn. More cake. I suffer so.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Satia! That cake is beautiful. My husband is reading Game of Thrones right now. I'm not particularly tempted (yet). Neither of us have watched it, though. We might share a book about half the time, if that. Our tastes are pretty different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've long been a fan of fantasy novels, especially serial ones, but I tend to avoid them until the last volume is officially published. Easier said than done when one man in my life goes and gives me the 4th Harry Potter book before the final three are published and before I had even read the first three. And now another man insists on reading the Fire and Ice books instead of reading the Wheel of time books. *sigh*

      Delete
    2. I'm expanding what I read more thanks to my daughter than my husband. I discovered that I like much of the YA sci-fi and fantasy stuff she reads: The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, etc. It's a nice escape. But I'm pretty eclectic in my tastes anyway, from satire to poetry to nonfiction. There's always a stack of books I'm part-way through sitting around here.

      Delete
    3. Anyone who reads my book review blog knows my reading is all over the place. Right now I have a literary novel, a memoir, a poetry book, a book on self healing, a book on Buddhism, and another memoir sitting next to me.

      If I look up at the coffee table in front of me, there's a book about the Bible, the Shoah, how to write a cover letter and resume, a book on Reiki, and another novel.

      I think I need to clean up a bit.

      Delete