Sunday, April 01, 2012

It's My Birthday Week

I began the month as I had hoped I would.  With a deep yoga practice.  I also spent part of it mulling the issues of racism.  I typically pace myself and Sunday is my day to dig into politics.  Inevitably, I hear what is happening throughout the week so, come Sunday morning, I’m all over the place, watching the pundits on television, reading the New York Times, and generally making myself crazy.  Seriously, crazy.  Poor Rob will wake up to my ranting about something.  By comparison, he comes to tell me about this gracious college basketball player who accidentally hurt a cheerleader from the opposing team during the game.  The athlete was not aware of the injury until after the game and was immediately apologetic, wanted to send the girl flowers, and express his remorse face-to-face.  He shares this sweet story and I tell him about Kenneth Chamberlain. 


Beautiful dogwood tree that
 has both pink and white blossoms
This is why Rob must take it upon himself to take me out for a walk.  We have been going two miles around our neighborhood.  My weekly walk with Kanika (which we did not do yesterday) is not enough for me so Rob and I trek around our two blocks, which are quite hilly, and we notice all sorts of wonderful things.  Like this two-tone tree.  Seriously, that is one tree.  Actually, Rob explained to me that it is two trees which have fused together at the base of the trunk making it appear as one.  He knows things like this.  I do not.  I simply go “oooh pretty.” 

The inherent difference of his being raised in Kentucky and my being raised in New York City shine bright on these walks.

This past week was uneventful, which is something I always enjoy to the utmost.  Today we thought several people were going to come over to celebrate my birthday (Wednesday, really) but one thing and another and then another came up until we finally have it down to my daughter and one friend coming over. 

Hmmm . . . .more pizza and cake for me!
I used these to make a
card for my mother.
Image found here.

Besides trying to finish up the editing I have scheduled to do, the week ahead promises to be quiet.  A friend may drop by on Wednesday to celebrate my birthday on my birthday.  And next week my son and daughter-in-law will be bringing my darling granddaughter by for a mini-Easter egg hunt.  Because he won’t be dropping by today I won’t be able to do what I had hoped on Wednesday so I’ll have a belated birthday post sometime soon. 

I guess this means that one thing I’ll need to do between now and Wednesday is figure out what I am going to post on Wednesday in honor of my birthday.  In the meantime, look—puppy stickers.

And yeah.  Because my birthday is falling on Wednesday, which is smack dab in the middle of the week, I'm claiming this entire week as my birthday week.  Yaaaay!

4 comments:

  1. Have a happy birthday week! I tend to immerse myself in current events news-wise as well...I've been outraged over the Trayvon Martin case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob pointed out to me that I have been wearing a jacket with a hood or a pullover with a hood every day this week. I wasn't even aware of it. It's funny how subconscious works.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Week! I tend to celebrate mine for a whole not-at-all! So I know how stressful it can be! ;) anyways hope ya have a great time on Weds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already know something about Wednesday that I'll be sharing in my blog someday. In the meantime, I can say for certain that I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete