Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Today, On My Birthday

Image found here.
Please take a moment to learn something about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I refuse to accept the idea that man is mere flotsom and jetsom in the river of life unable to influence the unfolding events which surround him. I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. 
I refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of thermonuclear destruction. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant.
From the speech he gave when accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964.  He would nominate Thich Nhat Hanh for the prize in 1967.

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful words from a wonderful man. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. he is a hero of mine and I have the privilege of thinking about him every year on my birthday along with many others who are gently reminded of the severe cost of racism.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful, Satia. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. My son surprised me by dropping by for a visit and he even brought along my granddaughter. So we had a looooovely visit. But if I keep writing, I'll tell about today in a comment and won't need to write a post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete