Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesdays



Today's Words are from
Blue Nights by Joan Didion

Image found here.
There had been agapanthus, lilies of the Nile, intensely blue starbursts that floated on long stalks.  There had been guara, clouds of tiny white blossoms that became visible at eye level only as the daylight faced.  (13)

File:Gaura lindheimeri4.jpg
Image found here.
She still gave two or three dinner parties a week, cooked herself, mixed young and old in a way that flattered everyone present, lit huge fires in her library and filled the tables with salted almonds and fat pitchers of nasturtiums and the roses she still grew herself.  (78)


In all honesty, not all of these words were new to me but I know so little about flowers, about trees, about birds.  So whenever I see something I want to look it up but I usually get distracted and remain forgetful which leads to my not looking up whatever it was that caught my eye.  

So whenever I see an image of a flower or bird in someone's blog, I inevitably want to know what kind of bird it is or what kind of flower they are sharing.  I was told by someone I love and trusted that this comes off as hostile and she asked me to stop leaving comments in her blog.  But that can't stop me from reading about a flower or something in a book and looking it up and then sharing it in my own blog.  (And let us not mention this someone again, even in veiled comments.)

File:Tropaeolum.JPG
Image found here.
Which leads me to my sharing that the lizard is clearly in mating mode.  Rob saw Louie the Lizard, as we have labeled him, hanging out in a tree.  He would dart forward a bit, bob his head a few times, and then puff up his brilliant neck.  

Rob came in because he wanted me to see for myself and, although the tree was not nearby, I soon found the little green lizard scuttling along one limb.  He stopped, bopped his head and I swear it looked like he was glowing when he swelled out his neck.  I thought that the sun had caught the transparent flesh of the creature.  Rob assured me that this was not the case, that the brilliant color was simply so vibrant that it seemed to be lit from within. Sure enough, Louie moved further along and around the limb a bit and once again went through his mating ritual.  I could see for myself that the brilliance was not due to the sun.

Anyway, here is a mini-bouquet, if you will, from me to you on my birthday.  

PS:  It turns out "Lilies of the Nile" is just another name for agapanthus.

PPS:  The photo I shared of the Carolina anole did not do the brightness of the red justice.  It was closer to the vividness of the nasturtium.  


2 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Blue Nights sounds like a very good book. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her memoir Year of Magical Thinking was so painful to read and raw. Blue Nights is harrowing and less raw but still communicates how complicated grief really is. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete