Thursday, April 04, 2013

They Say It's My Birthday

Today I turn 51 years old!
I’ve been studying.

Now one of the first rules of writing is to write about what you know.  You know what I know? I know that I don’t want to write about my studying.  And when you have a blog, you can either write about other things, give your opinion on matters that are of no concern to you (like criticize the actions of celebrities) or you can write about your life.

Unless of course your life is made up of incredibly boring details like did you know that there’s a bacteria that lives on your skin and thrives on your sweat?  I mean, seriously, unless you’re going to become an expert on the integumentary system, do you really want to know this stuff and/or have me blog about it?

I could tell you more things that will have you running to take a shower.  But that sort of defeats the whole blogging purpose, doesn’t it?  (Unless of course you’re in the habit of reading my blog while taking a shower.  In that case, have at it.)  All of this, however, explains why I haven’t been blogging because most of what I would say is stuff like this:
  • I read and reviewed a chapter in my book yesterday.
  • I had hoped to read through more today but a friend called and needed a shoulder to cry on so I made her needs a priority over my wants.
  • I would have read more today but Rob woke up late and we exercised late which sort of upset the whole rhythm of my day.
  • When will I ever feel like I understand this material enough to pass the exam?
  • I really hope all of this work results in my getting a job because I miss having an income.

One of the other rules of writing is to write what you would want to read and, frankly, if I don’t find something interesting enough to put it into words then I can’t imagine why anyone would want to read it.  Can you?  Of course not.   Hence the silence.  

It’s April.  And today is my birthday.  And yes, my life is pretty boring but I think I can find something interesting to say every now and again.  I mean, I’m reading books more slowly (because most of my reading time is spent studying) but I can write about the books I’m reading, right?  Maybe I can even say something about what Rob and I are watching on television.  (Wanna hear what we think of Game of Thrones?  How about Nurse JackieWalking Dead just finished a season and we watch that show together too.)

Okay.  I never could get into writing about television shows although I swear I’ve tried.  The thing is, I simply got out of the habit of writing here regularly and the end result is that I am now trying to get back in the habit.  You’ve already seen evidence or this in my posting for four days in a row. (At least I hope you've noticed.  Boy, am I going to feel silly for saying you have when you might not have.  Good thing I'm way over here living in my blissful ignorance.)  Four days in a row is a good start.

I won’t be able to keep this up for too much longer because . . . well, reasons.  (That’s what my daughter says when I ask her why about things.  Me:  Why?  She:  Reasons.)  But with a new season and a new year and all the new things happening right now, now is a good time to make some positive changes.

Truth is, there are things happening all around me and I can either choose to write about them or sink into my studies.  And in case you haven't noticed, my studies are pretty boring, so I really really want to get this habit re-established.  I hope you want me to too.

Happy Birthday From Bigelow Tea

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Have a nice celebration in spite of your studies! But good luck with them too, in a long run! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rosewater ice cream and that will make any day nice and celebratory. :)

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday, Satia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was pretty fantabulous.

      Delete