Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What My Workout Will Be For Now


Now that I’ve taken the exam and no longer spend my entire day studying, I am free to do other things.  Like housework and exercise.  Not that I had stopped exercising.  Far from it, in fact.

Before I left for my visit home, Rob and I were both exercising daily. When I came home, there was some vague talk about our getting back into the habit of really working out.  In the meantime, we were taking Snowdoll out for walks and I was exploring my morning yoga practice, challenging myself to move beyond my comfort zone.  I considered recommitting to my strength training but then chose to focus on my studying.

Then, on Saturday, I took the exam and, on Sunday, I began making plans on what I’ll be doing for the next few weeks.  Rob and I picked up a used copy of 10 MinuteTrainer and jumped in with both feet, literally and metaphorically.  It is a tough workout.  I started with the cardio and, frankly, I had to hold back a bit, not do as many repetitions or move more slowly.  I couldn’t even start the next 10 minute workout for lower body until I had caught my breath.  I seem to have acquired asthma and there are times when I struggle to breathe during our walks. 

This asthma is not necessarily new to me.  I always struggled with exercise-induced asthma.  It holds me back from moving beyond a walk to a full jog.  Even when I was young.  I won’t do the cardio workout each and every time.  Instead, I’ll use the bike.  I have a lot of fun reading to do (remember my reading challenge?) and I really want to keep mixing things up as best I can. 

So, as of now, my exercise routine includes yoga in the morning, a walk with Snowdoll, 10 Minute Trainer, the stationary bike, and various walking dvds.  Needless to say, I’ll be writing more about all of these things.

4 comments:

  1. I think I have some exercise induced asthma too. Running more than 200 m quickly makes me wheezy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I've always had it, even when I was a teenager. I even struggled with riding a bike. But I recently learned that perimenopausal women also experience what is being called "Menopausal Asthma" so it may be that what I've always lived with is getting worse due to that. I don't know. It is interesting, however. Relearning my body and how it works feels like an endless adventure.

      Delete
  2. That's a great variety of exercise. Congrats on completing the exam and feeling ready to move on and introduce new things into your life!

    Thanks for playing along with Readers' Workouts!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I'm hoping to be more consistent with writing about what I am doing because we all come to our exercising with unique challenges and/or goals. I have a balance disorder and I'm 51 so for me to find things I can do safely is important.

      Delete