Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Week in the Life--Cat, Kindergarten, and Kanika (and then some)

Bibi with Margarine aka Sparkles aka Sparklette
Joe & Co came over on Monday and Bibi was thrilled with her latest toy—an interactive cat that purrs, meows, even sings, and also jumps up to play with a cat toy. She named the cat “Sparkles” although I was calling the toy Margarine.  Why?  Well, Joe and Erin introduced a cat to the family, Butters, and Bibi adores the cat.  Adores it so much that she torments the poor thing, wanting to play with it endlessly.  Ironic, really, given how much Romanov tormented poor Bibi.  So the toy cat became Margarine in my mind, a fake Butters, and Bibi could not have been more thrilled with the toy. 

Tuesday Rob did something horrible to me.  He made a dental appointment for the two of us.  I hate seeing dentists, being emotionally scarred when, at the age of six, I had a tooth drilled without the benefit of Novocain.  I assume they simply didn’t give children Novocain back then.  If they did then I can only assume that Orin Scrivello D.D.S. was my dentist.  I left the dentist’s office with a choice:  spend $40 on a tooth extraction or I could replace a broken crown will cost $600 or more (and more likely more).

Guess which one I’m going to do.

This is a picture of Snowdoll with her head wedged
beneath Rob's outstretched feet.  She was obviously
comfortable but it looked really peculiar.
On Thursday, I had the joy of going with Erin to register Bibi for kindergarten.  I truly felt honored.  Erin didn’t want to go alone and Joe had to work.  Now, she could have asked a friend or any other family member.  For all I know she did.  But I would like to think that I was pretty far up the list of her choices.  So I got to see Bibi’s new school—the outside, the playground, the main entryway, and the cafeteria.  After registering her, we went to RaceTrac for some frozen yogurt.  Bibi got a watermelon sorbet and I had a coconut fat free yogurt. I don’t even know what Erin made herself because I was so excited they had coconut.  I had Rob meet us there because he and I had to run some errands anyway and I knew Erin and Bibi still had to go shop for school uniforms for Bibi. 

Who knew Bibi would be so upset she didn’t get to spend more time with us that, after they picked up the uniforms, she and Erin came by again?  Which is how Rob and I had a fashion show as well as some pleasant (wonderful even) company.  We played a board game.  We talked and just had a lovely and love filled afternoon.  So what if their return interrupted my working out?  I would stop and drop everything for family visits! 

Saturday Kanika and I walked 3 miles.  It was cooler than it has been and we had plenty of things to catch up on.  She’d gone to visit her sister and I recommended the frozen yogurt to her.  We both successfully resisted the new cupcake place that opened not far from the parking lot where everyone goes.  We apparently were not the only ones to realize that the weather was cooler than it has been; I can’t remember the last time I saw the trail where we occasionally walk so crowded.  It was great!

Kanika and I are working our way through One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds.  We started in June and, to be honest, so far we haven’t really done anything “meaty.”  Each chapter is divided into themes and June’s theme was travel with July’s focus was on getting your address book and photographs organized.  Next month?  Well, August is all about moving.  I looked at the table of contents and earlier in the year we would have tackled rooms and such but that’s okay.  We’re planning on working our way through to the end of the book and back around to the beginning. 

While exercising, I broke a blood vessel.
As you can see, it was a full week and a good one.  I didn’t post many book reviews but there will be more coming next week.  This week I am going to get some reading done.  I had hoped to write a bit about the Trayvon Martin verdict.  I’m afraid my mind could not wrap itself around the outcome.  I have avoided comments on anything having to do with the case because I know how quickly things degenerate online.  But if you want to read some of the things I found most interesting, here are some links:


Sometimes the best I have to offer is silence.




No comments:

Post a Comment