Sunday, July 21, 2013

Infection, Inflammation, and Invasion--The Week That Was

The week began with a surprise. 

Snowdoll adores one of our neighbors and how, whenever she sees him, she gets so excited that she literally cannot contain herself and ends up piddling.  That’s a nice way of saying she pisses herself.  I mean, I can’t even say it’s a little bit of a release.  She puddles the ground and then, because she adores this man so very much, she throws herself onto her back, often right where there is this puddle of piss.

Lovely.

Luckily, the neighbor has a sense of humor, is a dog lover, and has two female dogs.  He knows how they sometimes lose a little bladder control when they get over excited and, let’s face it, it’s got to be flattering for this guy to have this dog go so crazy for him every time she sees him.

On Monday, we were walking home after doing our usual one mile morning walk.  Lo and behold, our neighbor is outside with his two dogs and, sure enough, Snowdoll starts going crazy with joy.  I figure, she’s walked a mile now, marking her territory in all her usual and some unusual spots, surely she can’t have anything left to “offer” by way of showing her enthusiasm.

I was wrong but it wasn’t too bad.  Only a few spots that I noticed looked a funny color.  I assumed there was just something on the ground, some dirt or something.  So imagine my surprise when she threw herself on her back and there, by her urethra, was a small bit of blood on her white fur.

Uh oh.  Blood in her urine?  Not good.

Joe and I took her to the vet the next day and she has a urinary tract infection.  While we were there, my son’s friend called.
Friend:  Watcha doin’?
Joe:  I had to take my mother to the vet.
Har de har har.  He actually made that joke again later, when we were in the car and yet another of Joe’s friends called.  In any event, we had a lovely time together and, $167 and one batch of antibiotics later, I gave my son a kiss and hug goodbye and Snowdoll and I settled down into the rest of our week. 

On Wednesday I decided to add a little Pilates to my daily routine as a way to do some gentle strength training.  On Thursday, I felt a swelling behind my knee.  Ugh.  No no no.  I was pretty aggressive about tending to it.  I took some Aleve® and iced my knee.  I repeated this later in the day and, on Friday, I woke up with no swelling or even discomfort.  I was still careful.  I walked Snowdoll and felt no pain.  So I used the bike.  Still no pain.  And no swelling.  Yaaaaay!

Ahhhh . . . then I saw it.  Actually, first I saw one and two chipmunks while talking to Rob on the phone.  As one chipmunk darted towards the driveway it darted out.  The snake!  It was back.  Or hadn’t really left.  And why should it?  I mean, really, how scary is a rake really?  Especially when the one wielding the rake doesn’t hold onto it but throws it away? 

Lesson learned:  If you see a snake and throw a rake at it you will likely see the snake again.

Other lesson learned:  If you feel a swelling at a sensitive joint, do something about it right away and it will go away.

And another lesson learned:  Embarrassing excitement one day may become your son’s joke at your expense another.  (Or:  Now you know why your parents embarrassed you when you were younger because they know what’s coming when you are older.)

Three book reviews posted this week:

There will be a couple more reviews coming this week.  Hopefully I’ll also be sharing some stories of time spent with loved ones because I think my son was a little surprised to realize that we really haven’t spent any time with him and his family in a long time.  “Since before Mother’s Day?  Really?  Gee.” 


Yeah.  We’re overdue for a visit.

2 comments:

  1. Shhhh! Don't mention the visit out loud, someone will get sick or we'll have a tornado happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If there were a tornado coming, I'd be so sick we'd at least know what we're in for but shhhhh . . . fingers crossed.

      Delete