Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Wonderfully Quiet Week

Matt let me borrow this.
Took me long enough
to watch it. Sorry Matt!

This has been such a quiet week there isn’t much to share.  Monday and Tuesday, Rob and I focused on getting him ready for his trip and on Wednesday he left for a gig in Chicago.  I was pretty excited that he would be going to Chicago because I was hoping he would be able to see Marc.  Yes, I knew he would be working and, yes, I assumed Marc might be busy trying to find a place to live, but I still hoped they would/could at least have dinner together.

Not only did they have dinner together, Rob crashed on Marc’s couch!   We weren’t even sure if he had a couch but apparently he does because Rob slept on something other than a floor and I’m almost positive they didn’t share a bed.

Part of our preparing for his trip including making sure I had food and I took advantage of Rob’s being out of town to make foods I like, including tofu and sautéed cabbage.  On my first day home alone, I totally trashed the kitchen table with an eye to clearing it off the next day.  I also had hopes of clearing off the great room coffee table for Shira’s birthday.

This is the kit I bought
for Isabelle and her grandmother,
my mother-in-law.
So Thursday I was bouncing between entertaining Snowdoll, organizing the chaos on the kitchen table, and exercising.  That was pretty much the what I had done on Wednesday too, although I was creating the chaos on the previous day, and on Friday I added the only drama of Rob’s time away.

Friday, I wanted to wrap all of the birthday gifts.  We have a few things happening.  Isabelle, our niece, has a birthday coming up so her gifts were gathered.  I also wanted to wrap Shira’s birthday gifts and, although her birthday isn’t until October, we had a gift for my mother-in-law as well.  Why?  Well, I got the idea of giving Isabelle a Smash Book and, when I saw that they had a kit that included two books and different types of ephemera, I had another idea.  Not only would we give Iz a book but we could give one to Susan as well.  I thought it would be a great project they could share. 

When the kit we ordered arrived, I knew I had made not only a good call but a great one because the pad that was included had ten different designs, three copies of each.  There were also stickers, seven different designs with ten each.  But one person doesn’t really need three of the same thing let alone ten so it seemed natural to divide them between Iz and Susan.  Now they could share the whole concept of the books and have some of the same elements to glue into the books and see how each uses these things in their unique ways.

Not sure why but blogger
keeps flipping this pic.
What’s more, there was a third book that was on sale which I picked up for myself so I could share in the fun.  So I divided the pad into thirds and used a ribbon to hold the pages together.  I found some more things on sale at Michaels and we added some tags and clips to the kits I’m making.  I even have some extras to create a second kit for Christmas. 

I love this idea.  I hope they love it as well.

After I had done all the conquering and dividing, I started the wrapping and that is where the drama came in because I had misplaced a book I picked up for Shawn and Veronica, Isabelle’s parents (aka, my brother-in-law and his wife).  This book is a parent/teacher resource for some math manipulatives I insisted Rob get when Shawn told us Iz was losing interest in math.  These Cuisenaire Rods are something I not only remember from my own childhood but my children remembered from their childhood because I bought a set for them.  Even Erin remembered them from school. 

I started looking for the book.  And looking.  And kept looking.  Then I gave up and started wrapping.  Then I looked some more.  Then I wrapped some more.  Then I looked some more. 

Clips and such.
Believe it or not, Saturday I woke up and my first thought was, “Where did I put that damn book?” 

As it turns out, I had given it to Joe to look over and he took it home.  We have another book for Bibi because we bought her a set of the rods as well and I had apparently invited Joe to look at the wrong book.  Insert a huge sigh of relief here, especially because I knew that Joe & Co were coming here on Sunday.  But I wouldn’t find this out until Sunday morning, that I had passed the book to Joe, so I made a bit of a chaotic mess still searching for it.  I never got around to really cleaning the coffee table although I did try to clear the room out for Sunday when we would be celebrating my daughter’s birthday.

Stuff we picked up on sale
and the stickers from the kit.
Saturday I baked cake, made lemon curd, assembled most of the cake, and tried not to stress the then still missing book.  I’m glad the mystery of its disappearance was resolved.  I only wish I had actually managed to get some more housework done while Rob was still out of town.  He won’t be home until tomorrow which means there’s still time.  We’ll see how much I can accomplish.  It was a good week, a quiet week, and I know Snowdoll will be almost as excited as I will be when Rob comes home tomorrow.

I wonder how much mischief I can get into between then and now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you spent so much time worrying about that where that book was. And I am super happy that Joe figured out where it was.

    Yesterday was so relaxing. If we had a pizza buffet for Joe's birthday, he assured me that he would be taking everyone's pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not if we all kept getting meat and such on our pizza. So long as we didn't get a plain cheese pizza, he would be SOL! LOL!

      <3

      BTW, when I first saw that cat video, it took me a couple of moments to realize that the cat wasn't actually talking. I thought it just had a really creepy, kinda remarkable, meow. :)

      Delete