Sunday, August 25, 2013

Birthday, Stomach Distress, and Sick Sick Sick

This is one of the two gifts
we gave Shira.
This week begins and ends with “stomach distress” so I promise to be discreet without being disgusting.  Just fill-in-the-blanks and use your imagination.  Or don’t , because ew, gross.

Sunday we celebrated my darling daughter’s birthday.  Oh boy oh boy oh boy.  Rob was in Chicago and he and Marc actually went out to dinner, celebrating with us but from a distance.  In the meantime, Matt brought Erin and Bibi here while Joe went to fetch Shira.  I had made most of the cake the day before.  I only needed to make the whipped cream for the frosting.  They came in waves intentionally.  Erin needed to wrap Shira’s gift (a Betsey Johnson purse—so jealous!) and the plan was to have enough time for her to do so.  It wasn’t her fault we still had her wrapping paper.  One of these days I’ll actually remember to give Erin things. 

So very jealous!
This gave me a chance to give Bibi her extrinsic-motivation-gift without taking away the focus from where it belonged—my darling daughter.  Who would be turning 31 but not on Sunday.  Still . . . a good day to enjoy some pizza, some ice cream, and some cake.  Oh boy!  Now, Shira likes white pizza. So do I.  But it’s hard to find white pizzas at the usual delivery places.  Dilemma.  Especially given how icky I was feeling thanks to the rain, rain, and more rain.  (It didn’t rain on Saturday, for once.  Very exciting!)  So we went to a local pizza buffet place, Stevi B’s.  Now, the really cool thing about this is that the manager there is the guy who owns the dog we found the other day.  (Except, I didn't blog about that.  Oops.  Suffice it to say, we found a lost dog in our back yard and we were able to return her to the right home.)  One of those small world things.  Sometimes small world things are a good thing.

We came back here and did the gift thing.  Rob and I had two gifts for Shira but intentionally saved one for when Rob would be here to see her open it—like her actual birthday day.  And then there was ice cream.  I took some boring vanilla ice cream (sugar free, naturally) and added some coconut extract and shredded coconut to make a surprisingly good coconut ice cream.  We even toasted some coconut to sprinkle on top.  A half-gallon simply wasn’t enough.  Bibi helped me make the whipped cream and then helped me sprinkle the lemon zest (stardust) and edible gold stars on the top.  Pretty.  But Bibi didn’t like the cake.  I ended up finishing her piece. 

Oh well.  Can’t win ‘em all. 

This is the dry erase board
we gave Bibi but the one we
bought didn't have a pen.
I was exhausted by the time everyone left and they didn’t even leave all that late but the weather was truly wearing me out.  And apparently, poor Erin has discovered something about herself.  Like my mother, she can’t stomach sugar-free foods.  So the cake and ice-cream gave her some “stomach distress.”  This is not a crisis.  She loves chocolate cake and Joe can live blissfully without chocolate.  They’re birthdays are very close and we typically make one cake for them both which means that Erin never really gets the cake she wants as she tries to accommodate both her own tastes and Joe’s.  But not anymore!  I’ll make sure she gets some decadent chocolate cupcake confection that is so alluring Joe may even second guess his chocolate reticence.

Monday Rob came home from Chicago bearing photos of Marc’s apartment.  Seriously, we had no clue what his space looked like and I was almost as excited by seeing photos of his living room and kitchen as I was with the one of him, in a shirt and tie, no less.  Almost, but not quite. (Besides, Marc will be moving soon so this won't be where he lives for very long anyway.)

Shira said she loves Jessica Abel
so getting her these books
was an excellent choice.
Tuesday was the real birthday.  Rob and picked up Shira from her job and we took her to a fast food place.  I know.  Pathetic.  But the thing is, we eat fast food so rarely, my daughter included, that fast food can be a treat.  And Sonic has coconut cream pie milkshakes.  (Are you beginning to see a pattern here?  I may have a slight problem.  I’m working on it.  I promise.)  That’s when we gave Shira the other gift and even a birthday card.  We had a good time.  Nothing spectacular but Shira doesn’t like to make a big deal about her birthday.  I probably make more of a deal of her birthday than she would like.  Maybe she’ll  forgive me someday.

Thursday we took Snowdoll to doggie day camp.  She has been so crazy on the morning walks, bouncing everywhere and excited by it all.  Taking her was a brilliant idea.  There happened to be a white Siberian husky there on the same day.  We’ve noticed that she responds with the most enthusiasm whenever she sees a husky, as if she can tell that she and this other have something in common.  Rob swears she can tell other huskies from other dogs and there are times I cannot argue, although I don’t know that I can give her quite that much credit.  Still, I kinda want to, if you know what I mean.  It was great fun watching her and the husky playing on the monitor.

30 tiny rolls of different tapes.
Rob and I ran some errands and I was able to find something I wanted to get for Iz and my mother-in-law on sale.  I love finding things I want to buy anyway on sale.  So now we have stuff for their Christmas Smash Book kits.  I’ll divide them between the three of us and I think we’ll all have fun.  I really hope so, anyway. 

Friday is when IT hit.  I’d had a menstrual headache all week but Thursday I woke up with aches all over my body and doing my morning yoga was torturous.  I pushed myself to join Rob and Snowdoll on the morning walk.  The rest of my day was spent in bed.  And fever.  And sweating.  And misery.  Sick sick sick.

This is where Marc lives now.
Rob really liked the exterior.
Saturday, still sick sick sick.  No yoga.  No walk.  No nothing.  I stayed in bed although I pulled it together enough to join Rob for the ice cream social the community has every year.  Because Erin and Matt had sore throats, Bibi couldn’t join us.  My illness is not contagious but the sore throat obviously was and with my immune system fighting this sickness, I didn’t need to add to it.  Only, I think Bibi would have had a fantabulous time and I’m sorry she couldn’t see the fire trucks and enjoy the other children. 

We didn’t stay very long.  Rob had one cookie and it hit his tummy very hard.  We left sooner than I would have liked.  If Bibi had been there, Rob would have left and I would have stayed.  And the truth is, it’s just as well that we didn’t stay, that I couldn’t stay, because I collapsed into the bed and stayed there.  I didn’t even have dinner.  But I’d had breakfast and lunch so I wasn’t avoiding food altogether. 

So there you go.  A week that begins with stomach distress, included two birthday celebrations for one birthday, and left me sick in bed.  Here’s hoping next week I feel a little better.  I really don’t want to feel worse.

4 comments:

  1. Wow that's an eventful (and not all in a good way) week Satia. There are few things worse that a stomach virus...ugh. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but it's not a stomach virus. What Erin and Rob have is a strong reaction to certain foods. For her, it's sweeteners. For Rob, it's his diabetes reacting to too many sugar carbs. My illness has nothing to do with my stomach. It's a virus but not in my stomach. And today I'm feeling a little better than I did yesterday. Hopefully I can say that same again tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already feeling better and trying to be careful so as not to push myself into a relapse. :)

      Delete