Friday, August 02, 2013

Weekly Quotes

God Revised

When compared with other ancient literary texts, the Bible looks like a human document assembled for human purposes.  (23)

. . . I object to the Ten Commandments being posted in courtrooms and classrooms across the nation not because I favor theft, adultery, and murder.  Rather, I object to conveying the idea that the sole source of ultimate truth in the world is the God of smoke and fire on Sinai.  (24)

Biblical scholars have confirmed what even a casual reader of the Bible soon discovers:  the Bible is internally inconsistent and historically inaccurate. . . . The Bible reveals humanity at its worst and occasionally at its best.  In that sense, the Bible contains inspiration and even wisdom—but only insofar as it dovetails with everything else we know.  (34)

The claim that the Bible is the authoritative revelation of the one true God has no logical foundation.  (37)

If medical and technological advances had proceeded at the same pace as religious enlightenment over the centuries, we’d still practice bloodletting and communicate by smoke signal.  (40)

The Lion in the Lei Shop

Everything’s all wrong but everything’s all right.  (142)

It isn’t what you’re called; it’s how you’re called it.  (182)

Try to remember what’s true and what’s not true.  (199)

That’s when I learned that memory, right or wrong, is a subjective thing.  (258)

[A]s soon as belief dies, hope starts dying, too.  (275)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

The truth knocks on the door and you say, “Go away, I’m looking for the truth,” and so it goes away.  (5)

This is the hardest now. (50)

I’m not sure of much of anything these days.  Maybe that’s why I talk so much.  (55)

Unusual behavior tends to produce estrangement in others which tends to further the unusual behavior and thus the estrangement in self-stroking cycles until some sort of climax is reached.  (62)

[W]hen you look directly at an insane man all you see is a reflection of your own knowledge that he’s insane, which is not to see him at all.  To see him you must see what he saw and when you are trying to see the vision of an insane man, an oblique route is the only way to come at it.  Otherwise your own opinions block the way.  (71)

The War of Art

The best and only thing that one artist can do for another is to serve as an example and an inspiration.  (20)

Never forget:  This very moment, we can change our lives.  There never was a moment, and never will be, when we are without the power to alter our destiny.  This second, we can turn the tables. . . . (22)

Anything that draws attention to ourselves through pain-free or artificial means is a manifestation of Resistance.  (24)

Instead of applying self-knowledge, self-discipline, delayed gratification, and hard work, we simply consume a product.  (27)

Casting yourself as a victim is the antithesis of doing your work.  Don’t do it. If you’re doing it, stop.  (28)


2 comments:

  1. That last one resonates with me. I think I had to be a victim for a while. I had to be that child abuse victim and own it and live in it. I spent so much time ignoring and running from it that I had t live as that victim so I could move beyond. I I am happy to say I am no longer a victim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, I had a specific person in mind when I read that quote, someone I know who is always put upon and frustrated with the bed made in which they are lying. And I only recognize it because, like you, I said, "I don't like this bed anymore. It's time for me to get up and moving." :)

      Delete