Tuesday, August 27, 2013

When I Was Sick: An Exercise in Updates (or An Update on Exercise)

I started off the week of exercise very well.  And then I started feeling sick.  And sicker.  I spent a few days in bed. I couldn’t even take Snowdoll for a walk.  Ugh. 

Now that I’m feeling better, I have to be careful.  Seriously.  This is where I get stupid.  I want to do it all out of the gate.  I know I can’t. Or shouldn’t.  So here is what I’m doing.
Monday Walk Snowdoll 
Tuesday  Morning yoga, Walk Snowdoll, Abs 
Wednesday  All of Tuesday, 1 mile walking dvd 
Thursday  All of Wednesday, Upper body 
Friday  All of Wednesday, Lower body 
Saturday  All of Tuesday, 2 mile walking dvd 
Sunday  All of Tuesday, 3 mile walking dvd
Readers' Workouts (Lite Logo)
This blog post is part of Joy's
Readers' Workouts, a weekly event.
The most disappointing part of this is that I had to stop doing my August challenge*.  I wasn’t making any progress anyway so I guess I’m not devastated.  And I have a challenge in mind for September.  Now, of course, the above schedule is contingent on my not relapsing into a fever.  If I do, I’ll stop where I am and take Snowdoll for a walk the next day and do nothing further.  Each day, I’ll gauge where I am, where I was, and not let myself do too much.  I hope. 

Wish me luck!  Oh, and keep your finger's crossed.  I lost weight while I was sick and I'm hoping not to regain it now that my appetite is gradually returning.

* In case you forgot, my challenge for August was to hold a plank for 5 seconds longer each day.  I never got past 1:45, however.  And even when I was stung by a bee, I managed to find a way to do something.  But when I was sick, I really was too weak to do anything.  


6 comments:

  1. Gradually! That sounds great. I am happy to hear that you are feeling better! I don't expect it soon but I can't wait to read your review of the 5 day DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the one mile one the day after you left it here and then I was sick and didn't do any of the others. It's high on my priority list of dvds to try so no doubt a review will be coming as soon as my body will allow me to do that much walking.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a good plan for recovering from illness. I always find that so tricky to do enough but not too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I find it tricky too. I'm always tempted to think I should pick up where I left off (which is irrational) or to push myself to get back to where I was faster than my body can manage (self-sabotaging). I am being delicate with myself, for once.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're feeling better, and you're right to take things slow and gradually build back up to where you want to be. Don't know what the 5 day dvd is, but I can't wait to see your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, Erin and I are both on a limited budget so we share our dvds with one another. The 5 day one is the latest in our shared collection of walking dvds. And so far taking things gradually is working. Today I was able to really enjoy my yoga and even did some abs, just as I had hoped. My fever has not returned and the morning walk was easier today than it had been yesterday.

      Delete