Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Where I Am With My Exercises

This week I’m trying to shift my exercising in a new direction, something that’s inevitably easier said than done.  Habits are easy to maintain but they are not so easily put into place. 

Mind you, some things are easy.  I have a dog to remind me to go for a walk.  And I enjoy doing my morning yoga, although there are days I almost enjoy staying in bed more.  So walking and yoga are easy for me to accomplish on a regular basis but the rest I have to motivate myself to do.

Especially strength training.  I find it boring.  I know what to do.  I know about good form and the necessity of building muscle mass to support ongoing weight loss.  But I’d rather go for a walk or read a book while I pedal on the bike (which I can’t do because it hurts my knees) or even follow along with a cardio dvd—more walking or belly dancing or whatever.   

They say “Find something you enjoy doing and do that.”  I have but what I like is not a well-rounded routine and if I expect to see the changes in my body I want to see and to avoid the changes that “inevitably” come with age, I have to commit to doing more strength training.  Which means, making use of my free weights, trying to find my POF (point of failure) and ways to build strength in my legs without hurting my already delicate knees.  (If only I could lose 10 more pounds, I wouldn’t have to be so cautious all the damn time!)

Besides free weights (5/8/12 lbs), I have resistance bands and resistance cords of various tensions.  I even have a door anchor that allows me to do more exercises for the back and chest than I could or would otherwise.


I just need to bite the bullet and do what I do not enjoy doing.  *sigh*

8 comments:

  1. Have you tried the cardio DVDs with strength training built in? I get a kick out of the Crunch Boot Camp Training DVD which is available streaming on Netflix.

    I did 30 days of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred in 60 Days (but modified like crazy to protect my knees). Still, setting the goal to complete it in two months was motivating -- and at the end of it I was the strongest I had ever been.

    I should take my own advice....

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but they are either too gentle or too harsh. Bear in mind, I exercise with a balance disorder so I have to really set myself before moving, especially when using free weights. I love Jillian Michaels. Last time I used her dvds, I hurt myself so badly I couldn't walk without a cane so I am sworn (promised my husband and my dear friend who is a body builder) to avoid her until I get the all clear. :(

      Delete
  2. I'll be honest, I have tried strength training and I find it very boring as well. The only strength training I do is abs...if you can even really call that strength training at all. Probably more accurate to call it toning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE, I love doing abs. I don't mind doing them at all and often have a hard time find a way to challenge my abs without straining my neck. I was up to 3 hours a day of cardio/toning. Between my morning yoga and my morning walk, I do a base of over an hour of exercise before I really start my day. From there I was adding on abs (naturally) and more walking (with dvds because it is hot hot hot outside) and biking (stationary recumbent). I'd mix it up by doing dance workouts or using a step.

      But when 3 hours of cardio isn't bringing the results I need, I really have no choice but to bite the bullet. So far I've manage to be surprisingly consistent. Today I do upper body. Oh boy! :-/

      Delete
  3. My problem is that I have time to do either cardio or strength but rarely both. Cardio supports my mental health by being a great stress reliever for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, Cardio is definitely my go-to. I love my morning walks with Snowdoll and my friend Kanika and I have traded getting coffee once a week with taking walks. And my daughter-in-law loved my Leslie Sansone dvds so much (I only had 3 or 4 at the time) that she's started a collection of her own which we now share, trading dvds to keep what we are doing fresh. But I was doing 3 hours a day and not seeing any weight loss soooo . . . ugh strength training. :P

      Delete
  4. I love strength training and my favorite workout is Building Strength with Susan (Powter) which is a whole body workout using dumb bells and your body. I also love her Moving with Susan which is a step workout. Both of these are from 1994, but they are still my favorite and both are fun, especially the step workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Susan Powter! I'll have to look out for these on ebay. For all I know my library has an old VHS copy lying around and I may be one of the few people in the world who actually has a working VCR. Go figure.

      Delete