Saturday, September 14, 2013

Weekly Update a Day Early Because . . .

What made this week special is not what happened but where we’re heading.  Sunday and Monday and Tuesday, plans changed randomly and I organized, cleaned, shuffled, and tried to get things together.  Rob and I had to run some errands because he believed I needed a new pair of jeans and he needed a dress shirt.  And Chris was supposed to come over on Tuesday but food poisoning changed that for him. 

He made up for it on Wednesday and we had a lovely dinner together.  Nothing fancy.  Just friends hanging out. 

Thursday was a full day.  We took Snowdoll for a 2 mile walk because finally it is feeling cooler in the morning.  Fokes came over to get some much needed information.  Then, after Rob and I finished dinner, I went off with Joe and Erin to enjoy some of Bibi’s school stuff.  It was Open House and we learned about the gifted program (a lot has changed since my boys were in school) and we had the opportunity to meet with the teacher (as we did during orientation) but this time we learned more about what it is Bibi is doing. 

Rob didn’t join us because there was still so much stuff to get ready.  I’m glad he didn’t, frankly, because he would have been bored out of his mind. 

Saturday, Kanika had to cancel our morning walk, because she had leg cramps last night, and I didn’t mind.  Rob and I had already taken Snowdoll for her one mile morning walk and I really had Things To Do.  We also know that Joe & Co were coming over.  We did not know they were coming with Matt too.  And Matt is always welcome.  Joe & Co came because Bibi is doing a school fund raising thing.  She grew bored/tired after only a few houses, and we didn’t get through the entire neighborhood.  Still, she managed to sell a few cards.  Back home, we played a board game while Rob took a nap because he has a gig tonight and won’t be home until 3 or 4 in the morning.  To add insult to injury, he knew we had to get up and moving on Sunday (just as I know which is why I’m posting this weekly update a day early) so the nap was a necessity.

Soooooooo . . . 

What information did Fokes need?  And what, precisely, kept Rob home?  And why are Rob and I both getting ready for an early morning on Sunday?  Well, after 3 years, 4 months, and 10 days of being married, Rob and I are going on our honeymoon!  That’s right.  Finally.  I’ve written post-dated blog posts that will update my blog every day we are gone, including the days we are flying from here to there and back again.

And where is there?

We are heading to NYC.  Manhattan, to be specific.  We’ll see my family, Rob’s uncles, and my friend Love.  We’ll be visiting museums and eating all sorts of fun foods (some even familiar foods).  Mostly, we’ll visit places I grew up so Rob can get a clearer vision of my childhood.  The daily blog posts will reveal that day’s itinerary, give or take changes. We have a lot planned.  Frankly, we have too much planned.  But I’d rather plan too much than waste time trying to decide what to do, twiddling our thumbs for entirely too long, and realize we wasted the day because now it’s too late for us to really do much of anything. 

So really, this week has been full of organizing things—the guest room and blog posts.  Also full of laundry and packing.  And it’s been full of changes because my mother wanted us to eat one place but then changed that to a different place (which resulted in my updating my blog post for that day) and adding a lunch with her and Cathy.  And figuring out where we can go to buy food to keep in our room and where we can go if we need something we forgot. And, and, and, and, there's a lot planned.

Every day there was a little something more to ready for the trip.  I created a “Survival Guide” for Fokes full of things he needs to know to get through the time we’re gone.  Rob and I are both anxious about Snowdoll but having her at home, where she is most comfortable, will make this easier for her.  Plus, we've come a long way and getting in touch with someone who is out and about or on the road is not as complicated as it used to be.  If there's an emergency, we have cell phones and he can easily call one or both of us.  

Wanna know what we’ll be doing?  Stick around.  Every day, starting tomorrow and carrying us through the 26th, there will be a blog post with our itinerary.  As I said, it’s a very full itinerary so don’t be surprised if, when I start actually blogging about the trip itself, there seems to be some disparity between what we have planned and what we actually accomplished.  The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.  With Rob’s help, I’ve no doubt that they will be downright deviant.


2 comments:

  1. Going to NY for a honeymoon (even a late one) sounds pretty amazing! I wish you a great trip! :) Plans always go awry, but that's where the fun usually lay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ekaterina, That is exactly what believe. We can plan things out and still find ourselves in something we hadn't planned but that's better still.

      Delete