Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Honeymoon Day Eleven

Wednesday was our last full day of the honeymoon and, ironically, we did not spend it together. But remember when Rob didn't get to go to the Guggenheim because it was closed? He took advantage of the day away from my side to make that up to himself. And why did we not spend the day together? My mother and her friend Cathy came into the city to have lunch with me.

These are the some of the gifts we bought
for family and friends.
He walked through the park to the museum while I continued the packing I'd started the night before.  I arrived at Nice Matin, the restaurant my mother chose based on erroneous information.  I was excited because of the excellent dinner Rob and I had enjoyed earlier on the trip.  (Don't forget, this is the same place that provides the room service food which was so very horrible.)


Our lunch was good, mostly because of the company.  My mother ordered a burger with fries but the waiter didn't bring her any ketchup or even ask if she wanted any condiments.  She and Cathy also ordered iced tea but nobody asked if they wanted sweetener; they both wanted sweet tea.  Getting the attention of anyone was difficult.  The desserts were good but I have to say that Nice Matin is not a restaurant I would recommend because I want to know I'm going to get good food and good service.  Rob and I would eat there one more time.  I wish now we had eaten at Sara Beth's again.

Throughout the lunch, I had nothing but positive things to say about our experience.  My one and only complaint was that Rob would not let me buy any books.  No museum guide from the Cloisters, the American Museum of Natural History, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  No program from Chicago or other books as gifts I saw for everyone.  During the trip I realize that, for me, giving someone a book is just about the best thing I can do, the best gift I can give.  But Rob, as I complained to my mother and Cathy, refused to add heavy books to our already overloaded suitcases.


My mother and Cathy wanted to see the room so we headed up to the room (and don't you know I was happy most of our stuff was stuffed in those overstuffed suitcases?) and what did I find?  Rob had gone to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and bought me a museum guide.  I mean, you can't plan this sort of thing.  I praised Rob throughout the lunch, explaining my only gripe was that Rob wouldn't let me buy any books and there is a book waiting for me.  

Bonus:  Rob showed up and Cathy got to meet him.  More hugs and such and just soooo much love.  

I had just enough time to freshen up my make-up before heading off to McAleer's Pub where Rob and I had arranged to meet Love.  Rob lingered behind to give the two of us some time alone together and he even carried some books I'd brought along with us.  (Please note:  I was giving Love a stack of book so we could have easily fit some books as gifts but Rob was more stubborn than I.)  

What books did I bring for her?  I had a textbook and some coding books from all of my studying and a few months ago she mentioned wanting to learn medical billing and coding and, of course, I had these extra studying resources I could give to her which is why I brought her a textbook and three coding books (ICD-9-CM and CPT).  Rob joined us and we had a lovely time, just hanging out outside (seriously gorgeous weather!).  Love and I had some wine and then we ordered dinner, typical pub food.  

When it was time for us to say our goodbyes, I walked Love to her subway station (right by the museum) and then walked back to the hotel.  (I really miss the freedom I had on my honeymoon to simply go out and do the things I wanted or even needed to do.)  

Back in the room, I did a last sweep of our suite, packing up what I knew we wouldn't need the next morning to make the next day as easy as it could be.  Then I went to bed and slept very well.  

9 comments:

  1. How awesome of him to have relented somewhat and buy you that museum guide :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE, I often say to Rob that if our life were a reality show, nobody would believe it because too much of what we do seems scripted. The fact that I spent lunch exuding over how wonderful everything was and how Rob was nearly perfect except for his not letting me buy even one book and then going up to the room to find he had himself bought me one book . . . well, if I'd read that in a novel I'd have thought it was too sweet, too perfect, even if it did make me smile inside. I love my museum guide. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob buying you the guide was sweet. I know what you mean about lugging books; I always buy too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, Somehow I overlooked your comment or the notification never came through. I'm soooo sorry for not responding sooner. Thankfully, Rob will never allow me to buy too many books but he now knows I must come back with some or I won't believe the trip ever truly occurred.

      Delete
  4. I have to buy books when we are on vacation. My husband and son do too! I'm glad Rob bought you the guide. I'm not ready for the end of your trip. I am enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I wasn't ready for it to end either. I could have easily filled another week with things to do. We never made it to the Bronx Zoo or the Botanical Garden in Brooklyn. The aquarium. The planetarium. See? That's 4 more days of stuff just off the top of my head!

      Delete
  5. I bet you would have loved having the opportunity to show Rob all of those things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And he would have loved to see them all. The Bronx Zoo and Planetarium were both on our initial itinerary but the first day "wasted" shopping for Rob and then my mother adding not one but two lunches to our plans resulted in our having to shuffle things around a bit.

      Delete