Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Working Out Without a Routine

logo for Readers' Workouts
If you read and exercise,
join Joy's weekly check-in here.
This past week was not quite the success I had hoped it would be.  I am pretty sure it had a lot to do with 1) trying to get back into the rhythm of a normal routine and 2) there being no normal routine as we had guests, errands, and other things happening all week long.  It wasn’t all bad and you can read about it here if you have the time and/or inclination (and haven’t done so already).

I had signed on for the 30 Day Walking Challenge with Leslie Sansone but halfway through the week, while I was in bed at the end of the day, I was stretching and then there was a twinge, very sharp, in my knee.  Not as bad as a pop and the pain lasted only a few moments, but, when I woke up the next day, I was not able to walk without pain.  I couldn’t even take Snowdoll for a walk. 

I was careful with my knee the rest of the week although I only had to take one day off from taking Snowdoll for a walk.  I didn’t do the challenge because I really needed to be careful, and doing the lunges and squats necessary for some of the challenge was beyond me.   And between that and company and errands and then Bibi spending the night, walking Snowdoll is about all I could do.

In other words, I’m still not able to say that I’m doing strength training with any consistency.  So the big plan was to get it right this week.  And what happened yesterday?  I still didn’t do any strength training yesterday because Rob scheduled something for the morning that had me and Snowdoll stuck in another room.  And there are more people coming over to check things out.  Flooding under the house (which explains why I keep smelling mildew) and a too wet summer add up to things needing to be done and when things need to be done people come and go to inspect and approve and quote. 

Knowing this, I don’t think I want to make a commitment to doing anything new although I do hope to try to do something.  Morning yoga and morning walk with Snowdoll.  That’s my goal.  To do those things each and every day.   It would be nice to do some strength training but, if I don’t I don’t.  I am not going to waste my time beating myself up for not doing something just because life is not yet settled into a routine.  The routine will come.  It just hasn’t shown up quite yet. 

For now, I remind myself that doing yoga and walking Snowdoll is more than most do.  Sure that’s the bare minimum of what I was doing before we went on our honeymoon but doing the minimum is better than doing nothing.

8 comments:

  1. Walking and stretching is all I manage most days and my doctor would be happy with just the walking. For me, some yoga or stretching keeps me in a place where I'm ready to do something else -- like strength training -- when I can make it happen.

    Have I told you my secret to squats without knee pain? I learned this from a PT. Put a book under your toes to force the weight on the heels (or just imagine that it's there). For lunges, I need the support of a chair and to do them quite slowly unless I've done them a lot recently.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I left a comment on your blog to ask for more information. Thank you for letting me in on the secret. :)

      Delete
    2. If you don't have a book you can also curl up your toes while you squat. That forces your weight back into your heels.

      Delete
    3. Heather, I've been lifting my toes while squatting which I thought would force me to put enough weight on my heels but I definitely want to try the book thing because I am tired of pain in my knees. I'll absolutely try curling my toes as well. Anything so I can do these things without hurting myself.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Walking Snowdall. I feel your pain when it comes to your knee. I fell about 6 yrs. ago and it never hurt or affected me until 2 yrs. ago. Sometimes it gets stiff and/or sore and I can barely move it. I haven't been able to bend it all the way or straighten it out all the way for those 2 yrs. Most days I just walk or ride my bike. I can do my favorite step routine most days though, so that's good.

    I like your attitude! Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, Thank you. It's nice to know that my stubbornness and determination can be someone else's inspiration. :)

      Snowdoll is our Siberian Husky (not the one in the picture) so "walking Snowdoll" is merely walking a dog. But if you walk a husky, it's not so "merely" and more like an adventure with the adventure attached to a leash and eager to play with every squirrel it sees!

      Delete
  3. The PT didn't give a size. I used one that was about an inch thick for awhile and, then, I was able to do it without a book because I knew what felt right and could just imagine it there instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. Much appreciated.

      Delete